TechSpot

GA-990FXA-UD3 vs. Asus M5A99X EVO

By Atham
Jul 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Which motherboard is better for this rig:

CPU: AMD Phenom x6 1100T
    CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
    GPU: MSI RADEON R6950 Twin Frozr III - maybe will go crossfire in future.
    PSU: Corsair GS800
    HDD 1TB
    RAM 2x2GB RAM Dual channel Kingston DDR3

Thanks in advance

2. candyman1337

candyman1337 TS Rookie

Mobo

I went with the Asus M5A99x EVO because I trust the brand and dont plan on running dual sli/crossfire

In your situation, i would choose the GA-990FXA-UD3 if you want to run crossfire because it runs its at a full pci 2x16 with X16/x16 capability where the asus only runs a max of x8/x8 crossfire

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

Is this necessary?

Does that matter?

4. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Gigabyte over Asus all day long.

Stick around HK; tomorrow's post is all about memory! :D

5. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 930

In the end I've got to go with that; just ordered the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 over the ASUS Crosshair V Formula. Should have it next week :)

6. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I've opted for the GA-990XA-UD3 myself, as its unlikely at the moment I will be interested in more than 2-way CF (3rd GPU at 4x on this board). My next GPU will most likely be a HD6950/70 reference anyway, so two of these babies will be fine with pretty much anything.

7. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,457   +228

Keep in mind that even though you have extra PCI-E x16 slots, they are good for more than just graphics cards. They can also be used for PCI-E x1 or x4 expansion cards if you want.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.