TechSpot

Games crash on my GeForce FX 5500 256 mb - Help!

By Angel Eyes
Apr 30, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just got a brand new PC with the above graphics card and was eager to try out some of my older games (Max Payne, Jedi Knight 2 etc) with souped up graphics. But the games flicker and freeze as soon as I get to the title screen and I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get out of them. I have downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia and have tried re-installing the card, but it is all to no avail.

This is really frustrating me.

Please help!

Thanks
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

do your games have a safe mode option or a way to set the video settings without causing said lockup?
    if so, start disabling features such as lightmapping, shadows, skidmarks. you will have to experiment a bit but the idea is to find the offending setting by process of elimination.
  3. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks mate. I tried lowest detail on one of my games but it still doesn't work.
  4. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

disable some advandced features, especially shadows, reflections, and skidmarks.
  5. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

You're never going to believe this. Whilst browsing the net for help with this problem I stumbled upon someone who had compatibility problems with his onboard soundcard. I tried disabling my onboard sound, then tried running one of the games I was having problems with and....it worked! Perfectly! The graphics are at all their highest settings and the game is super smooth but, of course, now there's no sound.

I think the best way to solve this would be to buy a soundcard and ignore the onboard one. I never would have thought sound would have affected the graphics.

Hope this helps others with this problem.

:)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.