gaming computer help

By heatherneville
Aug 22, 2006
  1. hello i need a little help... i am trying to put together a half decent gaming computer this is what i have so far:

- AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ DUAL CORE S939 2X512K
    - DDR400 MEMORY 1024MB PC3200
    - DDR400 MEMORY 1024MB PC3200
    - video card\s ???????

I am interested in playing games like Heroes of Might and Magic V and Fear,
    any help anyone could give me would be greatly appretiated!
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

Either the Nvidia 7900GT or ATi X1800XT would be fine for that machine. You could always go a little higher end if you wanted to spend more.

DX10 cards will be out in the fall so you may not want to spend too much on a card right now.

I noticed there's no memory listed. I would go with 2GB of value PC3200 (unless you're going to overclock).
  3. heatherneville

heatherneville TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you JMMD any other info on gaming computers would be really helpfull.
  4. gamingguy27

gamingguy27 TS Enthusiast Posts: 168

It looks good so far, I agree that 1800XT would be a very good choice for you.

However you may want to invest in the Intel Core 2 Duo, as it outperforms the newest Amds by almost 40% in some cases. The Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition beats the old 3.4GHZ pentium 4s by a ridiculous 80%.

The Core 2 Duos chipset is far superior as it supports DDR2 memory and faster bus speeds.

If your going to play games I would also get some better ram, whatever people say cheap ram: a) isnt as stable b) or as quick. If your gonna buy ram get some OCZ stuff, its fairly expensive but it comes with a lifetime warranty and is very quick.

5. heatherneville

thank you Alex, but do you think that motherboard is a good choice?
  6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

I agree with gamingguy27. I just got an E6700 and it screams! I believe u can get an E6300 for around $100. But for the price it has tremendous overclocking potential(reportedly reaching speeds of upto 2.6GHz with stock cooling) and gives quite some performance increase over the FX-62 which is almost 7x the price. I have overclocked mine to 3.3GHz and it's quite stable.

Video card wise, I would recommend the 7900GT since it is way better than the X1800XT and quieter as well. I

If u get an LGA775 mobo which supports the Core 2 Duo, u can get good, inexpensive DDR2 RAM from Corsair's ValueSelect, OCZ's Value or Kingston's ValueRAM series. Buying high-performance RAM like OCZ 's Platinum series is only recommended if u have extra cash to spend coz the inexpensive RAM is more than enough for gaming. DDR2 RAM is much cheaper than DDR RAM presently so u'll save cash and get a better performing product.
  7. heatherneville

Rage 3K Moiz could i get a good gaming computer for 1200$can
  8. Rage_3K_Moiz

Sure u can. Here's one configuration.
    Motherboard & CPU $268.99

PSU $107.99

RAM $114.99

Hard Disk Drive $107.99

DVD Burner $30.99

Video Card $309.99

Sound Card $44.99

The casing, speakers, mouse and keyboard I leave upto u. U can probably use them from ur old PC if u have one but with the above adding up to around $985(Canadian of course), u have plenty more left to buy them if u don't. If u are able to recycle one or more of them from ur old PC and have enough cash left over, u can probably replace the video card with an ATi X1900. Otherwise the 7900GT I picked is fine too.

I hope it helped :). I have chosen the parts from reputed companies so don't worry about their quality.
  9. heatherneville

thank you it helped alot
  10. heatherneville

what about a AMD system? could you put one together?
  11. Rage_3K_Moiz

Yeah sure. Just replace the motherboard and CPU with this one.
    Or these.
    Motherboard $85.99
    Processor $205.99
    But beware, since Socket 939 is getting obsolete fast, and Socket AM2 is a bit more expensive as u may have seen from the above prices. So if u want AMD, I would highly recommend AM2.

However, Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs are the best ATM. I found a bundle which may interest u. It's almost double the price of the earlier Intel bundle, but delivers double performance of the Pentium D and is a great overclocker too(it can go upto 2.6GHz without problems, or so I've heard). Plus, at that speed it outperforms the FX-62 which is around 5-7x it's price.
    If u can afford the extra expense go for the above one I'd say.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.