Garmin StreetPilot c550 contacts backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasma dragon00

I'm not completely sure where to put this, but this seems like the best place for it to be. Does anyone know what file in the Garmin StreetPilot c550 is the Address Book file, so I can back it up and replace that when I update all the maps on it?

Thanks

First, let me be sure to note i'm not familiar with the C550 but

1) For the Garmin Owner's Manual click here
2) Which is odd as it doesn't even mention supporting an address book :confused:

All that said, i would also GUESS (but do please confirm)
> A map update would only overwrite map files (not an address book) is how i'd expect most nav devices to work
> In any case, since (am also guessing) you can access the device via USB why not just backup all the files before doing anything else?

I'll add a few things as well

-It's not my Garmin c550, but my Dad's.
-Not sure what exactly it would be called, he said the Address Book, but whatever it is that you store your "contacts" in with their addresses so you can start a route to that address. Address book, contacts, etc.
-There was no map updates for it so it doesnt seem to be of that much importance right now. But the reason I was asking is because when he had a model out of the something3xx series, any time he did a map update for it, it would erase his contacts list and everything in it.

A new problem though... He has a lifetime subscription to the one traffic provider service... not Navteq, but the other one... I want to say TTN? He has the GCM 20 (I think thats what its called... (I know next to nothing about Garmin's, or any other GPS device for that matter. I'm just the techie guy in my family XD )) and when he plugs it in to the cigarette lighter in his truck, the traffic receiver light normally shows up amber colored (though sometimes green or red). However, he isnt being shown any of the traffic information on the Garmin unit itself. We did a firmware update for said traffic receiver. He told me he previously had a problem with it where it said something along the lines of "Peripheral not supported by this unit", even though he had used it for a long time before that. Think that the cable is going bad? We're going to call Garmin within the next couple of days...

That said though, thanks a bunch for your reply, LookinAround

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back