Garmin's newest GPS includes a built-in dash cam

Shawn Knight

Staff member
garmin gps navigation dash cam dash camera garmin nuvi garmin nuvi lmthd sat nav

Standalone GPS navigation devices were all the rage a decade ago but once smartphones were capable of performing the same job, their popularity receded and it became apparent that manufacturers would need to bring more to the table to regain lost market share.

Garmin’s latest may do just that as it combines a couple of emerging trends with proven GPS navigation.

The NuviCam LMTHD features a 6-inch, pinch-to-zoom display and the industry’s first built-in dash cam. In addition to the obvious ability to record your commute each day, the camera’s software can provide audible and visual forward collision and lane departure warnings.

The system also includes augmented reality functions. For example, it can overlay numeric addresses and add an arrow-shaped indicator to help locate your exact destination when you get close. The unit can even link up to your smartphone via Bluetooth for hands-free calling and pair with Garmin’s optional backup camera to use as a display.

All of this is of course in addition to its primary GPS functionality which includes detailed maps of North America that are updated free for life and recognizable landmarks to make navigation feel more natural. The unit also offers voice-activated navigation meaning you can simply speak your destination or other commands without having to take your hands off the wheel.

The Garmin NuviCam will go on sale next month at a price of $399.99.

Permalink to story.

Seems like a nice unit, but I'm not too sure about the $400 price point...and only a 6 inch display? hmmm

I'm still one of those silly people that still use a dedicated GPS. Sure it's one more thing to have plugged in the car but I swear the thing gives as good or better directions than google maps, and recalculates my route after a detour a lot faster... It's volume is a lot higher than the phone too, matte screen to reduce glare, and of course, does not need the internet. There's actually plenty of reasons one could make to justify a standalone GPS, but for most people Google Maps does an excellent job most of the time.

If there is one thing I'm truly behind in, is is using Waze more often... but my normal routes of travel in the immediate area are practically set in stone, no back roads or worthwhile alternative routes to get from point A to point B, so I'm practically hosed in that regard. XD

Of course all that I mention above is with a $100 Garmin GPS... I'm not sure the almost twice as many features this one has over mine is worth the $300 premium. Heck, at $150 you could get a garmin with the handsfree voice activation, bluetooth, realtime traffic... etc

Give it a few more years and cars will start to have dash cams build in. Because why not?

I'm still one of those silly people that still use a dedicated GPS. Sure it's one more thing to have plugged in the car but I swear the thing gives as good or better directions than google maps, and recalculates my route after a detour a lot faster... It's volume is a lot higher than the phone too, matte screen to reduce glare, and of course, does not need the internet. There's actually plenty of reasons one could make to justify a standalone GPS, but for most people Google Maps does an excellent job most of the time.

If there is one thing I'm truly behind in, is is using Waze more often... but my normal routes of travel in the immediate area are practically set in stone, no back roads or worthwhile alternative routes to get from point A to point B, so I'm practically hosed in that regard. XD

Of course all that I mention above is with a $100 Garmin GPS... I'm not sure the almost twice as many features this one has over mine is worth the $300 premium. Heck, at $150 you could get a garmin with the handsfree voice activation, bluetooth, realtime traffic... etc

HERE has better data than Google in a lot of cases, especially outside the US.

Madboyv1 - If your GPS can recalc routes faster than your phone...then you need a new phone!

I live in an area where car insurance is at some of the highest rates in the world...I think they should make devices like these mandatory to record all the false claims. I have to pay insane rates, yet I've been in an accident before...

A price point like that, you should be targeting high income individuals. In that case drop the mapping functionality as it is included with luxury vehicles, and focus on a quality dash cam. Unfortunately there are no trusted companies that make actual dash cams.

You either go with a hit and miss Chinese camera, or get a smash and grab GoPro. Make a tiny, easily hidden, high quality dash cam. I will gladly fork over my hard earned cash. I have already wasted a over a thousand dollars buying what turned out to be terrible dash cams.

I have no doubts that the standalone GPS is on the way out even with a raft of fancy inclusions, besides a lot of cars come standard with built in navigation nowadays. In a few years it'll be law for new cars to be equipped with cameras and older ones to be retro fitted. You'll probably be unable to get insurance without them anyway.

I too prefer a dedication GPS/satnav system... and I disagree Google maps recalculations are not faster in my experience and I have a Samsung GS5 which isn't exactly a crap phone. The dashcam is a nice touch but it doesn't appear you can aim it up/down... plus a lot of people like the screen to be at a vertical and horizontal angle, so even though the camera can move left/right, it may be looking up or down and be tilted a few degrees. Not optimal... I'd make the camera a separate module that is tiny that you can tuck in front of the rearview mirror with a long wire that connects to the Garmin. And at the $400 price point, it should include a rear camera as well.

I currently use a Thinkware FXD700 dashcam. These nice Korean cams are pretty reliable, fairly small, and can are fairly subtle as well. I have three of them, one for my truck, my car, and my wife's car and they all work great.

Dash cams should be included in all cars. It should be fitted in the rearview mirror mount and be standard equipment, and you shouldn't be able to delete recorded video. This would probably help in a lot of insurance cases involving collisions. You'd be disgusted to find out how many people lie about what actually happened. As we all know we have two stories, and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

Madboyv1 - If your GPS can recalc routes faster than your phone...then you need a new phone!
I did not know my HTC M7 was a bad phone. =p Sarcasim aside being on Sprint's network is likely the culprit, but where I live Sprint's 4G signal strength is "almost as good" as Verizon/AT&T so that can't be the entire reason either.

One thing I did not mention that Skids did, is the proliferation of built in nav for cars which is becoming wide spread. This and backup cameras, lane sensors, radar, and anything else to help assist my ability to use my car in a safer manner is a good thing. Should have become truly standard a long long time ago.

I have two issues with built in navs though. The screen is often located in the middle of the dash with the infotainment system/environmental controls, so not only do you have to choose one or the other, but you have to look down into the interior of the car. I have my GPS unit huddled in the left most forward corner of my windshield, which is a much shorter distance to glance at. If (more like when) projected HUD elements on the windshield become a thing, this will finally become a moot point.

The second thing is while I'm not sure about newer cars/systems, but for the longest time in order to update the maps/software for in car nav, you have to order an update disc/flash image from the manufacturer or bring it in to a dealership so they can do it for you (for the cost of "labor" on top the update itself). For my Garmin (which has lifetime maps) I just plug the GPS into the computer with a USB cable and use Garmin's update utility to do it all for me.

I use the TomTom app on my iPhone 6 Plus, best GPS I've ever owned. Fast, reliable, updates regularly and the maps are stored offline (for those no internet moments).

I find google maps to be worse than Apple maps here in the UK, several times Google had no idea what road I was on about but Apple did.

Overall though, in the next 10 years I reckon stand alone units like this Garmin will be a dying breed, phones and in-built car GPS will rule.

I did not know my HTC M7 was a bad phone. =p Sarcasim aside being on Sprint's network is likely the culprit, but where I live Sprint's 4G signal strength is "almost as good" as Verizon/AT&T so that can't be the entire reason either.

One thing I did not mention that Skids did, is the proliferation of built in nav for cars which is becoming wide spread. This and backup cameras, lane sensors, radar, and anything else to help assist my ability to use my car in a safer manner is a good thing. Should have become truly standard a long long time ago.

I have two issues with built in navs though. The screen is often located in the middle of the dash with the infotainment system/environmental controls, so not only do you have to choose one or the other, but you have to look down into the interior of the car. I have my GPS unit huddled in the left most forward corner of my windshield, which is a much shorter distance to glance at. If (more like when) projected HUD elements on the windshield become a thing, this will finally become a moot point.

The second thing is while I'm not sure about newer cars/systems, but for the longest time in order to update the maps/software for in car nav, you have to order an update disc/flash image from the manufacturer or bring it in to a dealership so they can do it for you (for the cost of "labor" on top the update itself). For my Garmin (which has lifetime maps) I just plug the GPS into the computer with a USB cable and use Garmin's update utility to do it all for me.

Weird...I have the Samsung S4 (Two models old) and it re-routes almost instantly. I also keep all my apps closed, clear the memory, and run Advanced Task Killer at all times :)

I'm not disagreeing with the GPS idea, but the price needs to come way down before I even think about getting one. Not to mention you will get a "Obstruction of view" ticket for having any GPS device attached to your windshield. Oh and they do have the projected HUD already :)

Also, if you put your GPS flat on the dash just below your windshield you should be able to have a HUD style reflection...they also make an app to use your phone for that :)

Not to mention you will get a "Obstruction of view" ticket for having any GPS device attached to your windshield. Oh and they do have the projected HUD already :)
Funny, I got pulled over to be made aware of a bad tail light once, the officer saw where I had my GPS, then told me he never saw someone put it in the corner like I did and thought it was a good idea. That might have been a personal remark and not a on duty remark however.

As for the difference in rerouting speed, again I think it depends on the complexity of the route as well as the connection speed. I did say I was Sprint so that's likely half the problem by itself. XD

Back