Gateway Laptop isn't working

HVGrad

Gateway NE56R41u laptop freezes after 5-10 minutes of running, ran many many tests and scans to try to find malware but nothing was found, it works fine in safe mode but not in safe mode with networking, please help

When something works in Safe Mode but not while in Normal it points to a driver issue. Have you tried updating your WiFi/Network Interface Card (NIC) drivers for your system from Gateway's website?

Do you use a cooling pad? Laptops can get hot quickly and high temps will freeze/shut-down a system fast.

I have tried using a cooling pad and it did not make a difference, but I have not tried updating my NIC drivers. The only problem would be I couldnt access their website on the laptop because when I try to access the internet it freezes immediately

You can run your system in Safe Mode with Internet access. What version of Windows are you running?

I am running windows 8, but when I put it into safe mode with networkong it acts the same as normal mode

I tried dowloading the updates on a flashdrive on a different computer then transferring them but I didnt know how to apply them

I want you to go to our Virus and Malware Removal forum and read and follow the instructions as given there. Do not diverge from set instructions. Submit as directed and let Broni guide you. He is excellent at helping people who are infected which is my suspicion here.

What security software are you running? Have you made any recent changes in this area?

Also, have you tried connecting to the the internet via hardwired, I.e. ethernet cable directly to your router? If not, do so and please tell us your results.

For further clarification, are you doing anything in particular when your laptop freezes?

I havent tried to connect directly. And I run nortons, but when I first got my laptop it had a nortons trial on it, and when it ran out I downloaded avast without deleting nortons, and then avg later on, so I had 3 programs, and thats around the time the problems started, but I have long since deleted all except nortons

Here is the thing about security software: They are notorious for leaving remnants behind, I.e. drivers. Norton is especially bad about this; so much so that they had to create their own removal tool to complete the process of total clean up. I can't tell you how many times we have had to help people with Norton issues. Anyway...

The issue is that if any of those drivers remain they will try to engage, try to "work," even though the software has been deleted. See if AVG and the other one have a Removal Tool and use it. I would also strongly suggest that you uninstall Norton, use their Removal Tool for your version, and then do a clean reinstall.

However, there are much better options than Norton.

Hello sorry for the lack of reply I have been on vacation. but as for connecting with an Ethernet cable it seems to be helping because I was able to access the internet on my laptop and I am replying using it now, and the only virus software I have on my computer still is nortons because I have reset it to factory default, and nortons is what came on it

I have resolved the problems on my laptop, it seems that connecting using an ethernet cable then updating my drivers fixed the problem, thank you very much for your time and effort

"use their Removal Tool for your version,"
Yes, these are effective and actually, you can avoid a 'clean install'

Once deleted, reboot and create a fresh system restore point.

THEN you can get another AV (suggest Avast! Free).

Back