TechSpot

Gateway PC will not power up - button fades in and out

By jmg75028
Oct 14, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My one year old Gateway DX-4200 started having re-boot issues where it would not power back up. Power button fades in and out. The power supply has been checked out OK. The motherboard has been replaced with a new one but the problem persists. At first I could get around the issue by unplugging the power cable then it would power up OK. Now the power button just fades in and out from the beginning and will not go any further.
  2. Kcircyrd

Kcircyrd TS Rookie Posts: 316

I don't know what you mean by, "...Power button fades in and out..."

Did you change anything that would put unusual demands on your power supply?
  3. jmg75028

jmg75028 TS Rookie Topic Starter

No but I just purchesed a new, higher wattage power supply to try. Should know tomorrow if that fixes it.
  4. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,371   +167

Does it fade in and out in a constant/steady pattern? As that usually indicates the computer is in sleep mode.....

Try holding the button in for 10-15 secs and see if the power button stays off. Then press again to start and check power settings in Control Panel
  5. jmg75028

Yeah, I tried all of that. It will not come up at all now.
  6. jmg75028

It goes into "sleep" mode as soon as you press the power button. Never gets to the hard drive. Re[laced the power supply but that did not fix the problem.
  7. Kcircyrd

Did the new power supply help at all?
    Any other resolution?
  8. jmg75028

No, the new power supply did not help. Still no resolution!
  9. Kcircyrd

Some of the Gateway DX computers are apparently eMachines computers... same motherboard... and that is possibly where the trouble is. A replacement board is $49 on eBay, but not every day.
    Be aware that you only have a limited time to get the restore disk set from Gateway, and you must do it by phone, and there is a fee.
  10. jmg75028

I did replace the motherboard with a new one. That did not fic it. Thanks.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.