Ge3 Ti200 & 4*.**+ drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steg

Ever since i have upgraded to the 4*.**+ drivers on both 98 and 2k i set the refresh to 100hz and it refuses to draw higher than 75hz, i have a Iiyama VMPro 410 (17in) which worked fine at 100hz under 30.82 but now it just wont go higher - the setting says 100 the moniter says 75....
anyone got any ideas?
Cheers

Steg

The Detonator's above 40 certainly aren't optimized for the GF3's. I would reccomend you lowering down to the 30's.

Try reverting back to the old Detonators. The 30's. Can it go above 75Hz? If so than there's your problem.

And also make sure your monitor drivers are correctly installed & you don't have another utility, maybe from nVIDIA, that may alter the refresh rate.

but the 40+ boost performance quite alot (6000 to 6500 in 3dmark2k1) so i dont no wot 2 do.....and i like that extra performance quite alot.....

Steg

I doubt you'll notice the difference between 75Hz and 100Hz anyway. Below 60Hz is noticeable.

I'm running 75Hz @ 1600x1200 on my NEC and it doesn't look any different than 165Hz @ 640x480.

So I'd say keep the 40 drivers!

Originally posted by Vehementi
I doubt you'll notice the difference between 75Hz and 100Hz anyway. Below 60Hz is noticeable.

I'm running 75Hz @ 1600x1200 on my NEC and it doesn't look any different than 165Hz @ 640x480.

So I'd say keep the 40 drivers!

I can easily notice the difference between 75 and say 100, the image is far more stable and of course there is less visual tearing in ut2k3 whne the fps goes above the hz.

Originally posted by NeoION
I can easily notice the difference between 75 and say 100, the image is far more stable and of course there is less visual tearing in ut2k3 whne the fps goes above the hz.

Why not play with vsync on? That will elliminate that tearing...

And Nick, how can you play at 60Hz? Don't you get a headache after a short while, or have trouble focusing due to the scanlines?

ive never gotten a scan line... i think it is because i have vsync disabled... since i made that post ive uped the refresh rate to 85 however i dont notice a difference ;/

Yeh i run vsync in all games - games arnt really the problem its more things like word or Pro/DESKTOP that are the problem where the difference is odvious - the white backgrounds flicker quite badly

Steg

Originally posted by Nick
ive never gotten a scan line... i think it is because i have vsync disabled

Eerrmm... Can i butt in?

Just a quick question...What actually is vsync and what does it do??

Vsync is the virtual cyber world counterpart of Nsync only they look like max head room.:D

ok actually it stands for vertical sync and has to to with the refresh rate. dont remember the rest but I am sure one of the whiz's around here do.

I think it tries to match the vertical FPS and the refresh rate...hence 'sync'. But heck, what do I know?

Originally posted by Vehementi
I think it tries to match the vertical FPS and the refresh rate...hence 'sync'. But heck, what do I know?

You got that one correctly :)

It forces the card to synchronize it's output with your screen refresh...
People use it to get rid of tearing which happens when the refresh and fps doesn't match...

LOL Cyber Nsync... Nice ISS :haha:

A reasonable explanation Veh but I don't believe there are Vertical and Horizontal frames being rendered ;)

I found a quite detailed "What is Vsync?" here
Now, what is VSYNC? Well, VSYNC is basically the synchronizing of buffer swaps with your monitor's refresh rate. With VSYNC enabled, frame rates will not exceed the monitor's current refresh rate for that particular resolution. For example, if your monitor is using a refresh rate of 85Hz at 800x600, with VSYNC enabled, you will theoretically never exceed 85fps. So the refresh rate creates an artificial barrier that limits the frame rate.

So what happens if you are playing on an older monitor that only supports a 60Hz refresh rate. Will you have to live with a maximum of 60fps (assuming that your system can generate more fps)? Not necessarily. Newer video cards give you the option of disabling VSYNC. What happens is that this allows the buffer swapping to occur without synchronizing with the monitor's refresh rate. If it really was the refresh rate limiting you, disabling VSYNC may allow you to obtain frame rates in excess of 60fps. This, unfortunately, can also cause what are called 'visual anomalies': image tearing and flashing polygons. Some games run fine with VSYNC enabled, while other games crumble when VSYNC is disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back