GeForce 4 MX 420 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobMan

This one is the puzzle of all puzzles. My son just recently bought an Xtasy GeForce 4 MX 420. I was in the middle of upgrading my motherboard and chip at the time, so he got my old Abit KT7A-Raid board with a 1Ghz Athlon. Here's the problem. I installed the GeForce4 for him and I got nothing on the screen when I booted up. Of course I reseated the card, checked the cables on the monitor, and checked all my settings but still nothing. I played with it for awhile before finally thinking I had a bad card out of the box. So I tried the same card in my system. Wouldn't you know it.....it booted right up. Took my GeForce3 and put it in my sons system, and it booted right up. Put the GeForce 4 in my other sons computer and it booted right up. Put my others sons Kyro II in my sons and it booted up. Doesn't make any sense at all. The bottom line is that the GeForce 4 MX 420 will not work in the Abit KT7A-Raid board. It does work in my Abit KR7A-Raid and in my sons ECS board. How is this possible and what causes this? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

The rig with the problem is using a 300 Watt PSU. Mind you, this is the same Mobo, Ram, PSU, and case that I was using my GeForece 3 in. My GeForce 3 ran flawlessly.

I have to guess that there may be something wrong with the card interfacing with the AGP slot on the ECS mobo. I have read alot of problems lately stemming from ECS mobos..

Once I read my post over, it did sound a little confusing. The problem is getting the GeForce 4 to work in my oldest sons computer. He's running the Abit KT7A-Raid. My youngest son is the one with the ECS board. He's using a Kyro II video card. His computer is running fine. I don't understand why the Abit board won't take the Geforce 4 when it was running my Geforce 3. Thanks for the replys.

Im sorry, I just took for granted that it was the ECS giving you the headaches..Well the only thing I can think is that the GF4 is AGP pro and the 3 isnt and there is an issue with the "Pro" section of the Abit AGP slot.

Definitely something to look into. Thanks. What I've done in the meantime is swap cards. My youngest son is using the GeForce4 and my oldest son is using the Kyro II. He's not happy with it but at least he's up and running. Thanks again.

Saw this at Digit-life.com while browsing the other day.

"4.9. Notes about videocards' work with the latest drivers:
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420 card can't run on KT133A platform due to BIOS; KT266A and i850 platforms show workability problem under Windows ME (garbage instead of desktop)"

Use the find (Ctrl+F) as it's a big page.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back