TechSpot

GeForce 4 MX 440 memory size problem

By catalyst_nc
Feb 23, 2004
  1. I am having the same problem as cherokee94 is having in this thread.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=10013

He states:

Except my problem is that I have a 128 meg GeForce 4 MX 440 card and nVidia properties and everything else in Windows is telling me it says 32 megs. When my computer boots, the video BIOS states I have 128 megs of memory.

I've tried uninstalling the drivers, rebooting, running NVClean, re-installing the 53.03 drivers, rebooting, and I still have the same problem. I re-installed the latest DirectX from Microsoft's site as well.

I'm not quite sure what else I can do, hoping someone out there can help me out. Nothing is overclocked, and besides Windows not detecting the proper amount of memory, it's working fine. My system specs are:

Windows 2000 (All Windows Updates)
    P-III 850 100mhz bus
    256 Ram @ 100mhz
    Mobo: Abit BE-6 II
    Card is running at AGP 2x, max for my mobo.

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.

2. catalyst_nc

catalyst_nc TS Rookie Topic Starter

I figured it out. I'm not positive what I did to fix this, but I'm pretty sure this did it. The trick was to install an older nVidia driver set. I believe it was a 43.xx version. After that the card detected 128 megs without a problem in windows, I was able to upgrade my drivers to 53.03, and everything still works pefectly.

If anyone else is having this problem and this doesn't fix it, please let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

3. ziplock9000

ziplock9000 TS Rookie

Same problem

I'm having the same problem as the first guy.. I have the 64mb MX 440, that thinks that it's a 32mb card.

I'm downloading the old 43.xx drivers now to see if it works.

Hopefully this week I will be getting the 6800 OC anyway..

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.