Geforce 6600 GT not enough power message

Status
Not open for further replies.

ev0l

I just recently upgraded my graphics card to a Geforce 6600 GT, but when i installed it i got the message that due to lack of power it would run at lower performance to prevent hardware damage.

I assumed it was my power supply because it was quite old, and i couldn't remember how many watts it put out.

I bought a 520 watt power supply, probably over kill i know, but i continue to get such a message. Is the VGA card at fault?

Its in the AGP slot.

The card needs an external power supply,the same type that powers the hard drive and cd/dvd drives.Have a look at the end of the card and you'll see where it needs to go.

Have you posted this before? This has been discussed before with lots of advice given.

Your PSU is not at fault.

Use a HDD power supply plug dedicated with the molex converter as supplied in the box - no sharing with other devices. Connect it properly.

Is the Vidcard cooler working?
Is the HDD light burning / flashing / dead while (just before) these msgs come up?

The video card may be faulty - but that is an outside possibility.

I'm sorry guys, this was a bone head error on my part. I had not posted this before, but the solution was obvious. There were no cables supplied w/ the card in box, so I wasn't thinking about the right type of cable to be the supplemental power supply.

haha, i kept looking at the poor things fan power supply connector and asking, where am i supposed to get this thing more power. Thanks for the help and sorry for the ignorance on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back