Geforce 6600 GT not enough power message

By ev0l
Dec 27, 2005
  1. I just recently upgraded my graphics card to a Geforce 6600 GT, but when i installed it i got the message that due to lack of power it would run at lower performance to prevent hardware damage.

I assumed it was my power supply because it was quite old, and i couldn't remember how many watts it put out.

I bought a 520 watt power supply, probably over kill i know, but i continue to get such a message. Is the VGA card at fault?

Its in the AGP slot.
  2. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

The card needs an external power supply,the same type that powers the hard drive and cd/dvd drives.Have a look at the end of the card and you'll see where it needs to go.
  3. Ruder

Ruder TS Rookie Posts: 98

Have you posted this before? This has been discussed before with lots of advice given.

Your PSU is not at fault.

Use a HDD power supply plug dedicated with the molex converter as supplied in the box - no sharing with other devices. Connect it properly.

Is the Vidcard cooler working?
    Is the HDD light burning / flashing / dead while (just before) these msgs come up?

The video card may be faulty - but that is an outside possibility.
  4. ev0l

ev0l TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'm sorry guys, this was a bone head error on my part. I had not posted this before, but the solution was obvious. There were no cables supplied w/ the card in box, so I wasn't thinking about the right type of cable to be the supplemental power supply.

haha, i kept looking at the poor things fan power supply connector and asking, where am i supposed to get this thing more power. Thanks for the help and sorry for the ignorance on this one.
  5. Ruder

Ruder TS Rookie Posts: 98

Coz more juice makes it go faster ... :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.