GeForce 8500GT default boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've been having a problem with the display over remote connection.
In the configuraiton I'm using, I have 2 PC's connected by LAN, but only 1 screen, and in order to see the video output of the 2nd PC, I just use remote desktop connection from the 1st PC.

I've realized that when starting up the RDP, I get an error "The video card is not updated", although this error does not appear when connecting a monitor directly to that PC.
In addition, there's decreased performance of the video output through the RDP, and graphics seems to be with a slower refresh rate. I didn't have that kind of a problem with my previous graphics card, which was older.

I'm thinking that it has to do with the default boot of the card. If no screen is connected, it thinks that it's starting up with VGA configuration perhaps?

Any ideas?

There's probably a simpler way to connect both computers to one monitor, provided that the monitor is an LCD. Many LCD screens have both a DVI and a VGA input. You can connect one computer to the DVI and the other to the VGA. If a monitor has both there will be a button to switch the input, so you can just press a button to switch which screen is displayed.

Also, have you updated your graphics drivers?

not good enough

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Connecting 2 inputs is a good idea, but the problem is that I will still need to user mouse and keyboard, in order to control the PC, so that won't solve the situation completely.

Graphic driver is updated, but the problem is that it doesn't know it should load up as DVI, since no monitor is attached to it, so it loads up as VGA by default.

I'm not sure I fully understand. If it doesn't load DVI because there is no monitor attached, doesn't that mean the monitor is attached to the VGA? Or does one computer have no monitor attached at all?

For controlling two PC's with one monitor, keyboard, and mouse, you can use something like this, if you are willing so spend some money.

monitors setup

Hi,

No monitor is attached to the 2nd PC. In order to view it, I'm using an RDP from the 1st PC (since they are both connected through LAN), but the problem is - the video throughput is too low, and the quality is significantly worse.

Using a KVM is also an idea, although it adds another HW component to my configuration (40$ is not an issue in this case), which I tried to refrain from. If no other solution will work, I guess I can settle for that.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back