Geforce fx 5200 128mb good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this new gpu (Geforce fx 5200 128mb) and i think its pretty good, but after reading some forums im starting to wonder weather i made the right coice. Any tips?

Unlucky

Dont mean to sound harsh but you have been bumped m8, i made the mistakea year back and forked out bout 90 quid for one and they arent much good at all, there wasnt much of an improvement over my geforce 2!

they are fine for just BASIC games but not for advanced games, my advice if your not to fussed about amazing g-cards would be to fork out some cash for something like a 256MB Radeon 9550 as they are a reasonable card (plays Half Life 2 on medium settings fine!) and very reasonable price!

Hope This Helps

:grinthumb

You bought yourself a low end card, you cannot expect to have the performance of a 6800 ultra, however, whether there is a lot of noticable difference from your old GeForce 2 or not, in reality there is. The fact that you are now DirectX 9 is reason enough for the upgrade, maybe in the older games you were playing with the GF2, it played them better, but you bang a DX9 game on, and you will see the difference straight away.

To give yourself a real rating of your card, search google for a review of the competing card. You may not have the ferrari, but you are the best card in your class.

I'm afriad you have wasted your cash.

I've only just replaced my FX 5600 with an FX 5900 as it was obsolete.

I no longer could play the recent games on high settings, RTW, FSW, ect, ect.

I cant imagine how an FX 5200 is like :unch:

My advice is to get ur money back, save another £50 and get ATLEAST an Readon 9600 or the nVIDIA equivilent, FX 5700.

Geforce Fx5200

Sorry to hear you bought this card. I bought this card when i built my system a year ago and form the day i put the card in my system it caused me no end of problems eventually ending in a system that kept Crashing out and it's very fustrating to find that all the problems came from this card. I think this card is one of the worst purchases i ever made. i won't make the same mistake again and i hope you won't also.

Regards

I have a GeForce FX 5200 AGP 8x 256MB and I wasn't expecting a brilliant card when I purchased it, it works well with games i have that have low graphic needs like XIII or GTA Vice City, with Pro Evo 4, which is not a particularly demanding game, it is already a bit dodgy when you put the quality up to high, i'd imagine with my card I could only play the likes of Half Life 2 on low quality and screen pixels. Nevertheless it was a big leap up from my previously pitiful 32 MB onboard S3 KM 133 video controller.

It's a great card for surfing the web, playing older games and other basic tasks. Can't hold up with the newer games though.

It all depends on what your own needs are. It is true I'm afraid, that this card is not going to be great on new titles, but it should run them, albeit without eye candy and at low resolutions. Older titles will run just fine.
How much did you pay for it ? Hopefully not more than about £45.00.
My opinion is that the best sub £100 card on the market today is the basic Geforce 6600(but only if you buy from the right place). Don't buy from a shop, and don't buy from eBay either as people just push the price up not realising that you can actually buy the item yourself from a reputable online seller for less.
If you are happy with your purchase, and it does what you want, then stick with it. Remember, you are the only one who knows what you want, and if you've actually got it.

G Force fx 5200

i've been using this card with two monitors for a couple of years and never once had a problem. it works great. installation was a breeze. config was even easier. can't say enough good. it looks great on both. i would suggest it to anyone. the price is not bad either. i think i paid 100. enjoy your card. i do

as the others have said the card will do basic things well such as battlefield 1942 or battlefield vietnam but if you want to do anything else that puts a tod more stress on it, its gonna lag and i mean lag really bad, my halo game isnt worth playing with this card and i upgraded from a 64mb card, on the earlier card i could play everything nicley! neway if you want a card that will do your 8 year old sister good for her email and barbie magic hair styler then give her this card otherwise get a better card

G Force 5200 FX

Hey, i like barbie magik hair styler. lol. just kidding. the card is good for people like me, two monitors. no hard core gaming. i quess what i like most about the card is it is simple, easy and cheap. kinda like a girl i know. i am currently trying to install 2 pci cards in my dell optiplex gx pro. this is tough one...
my compaq is using the 5200.
anyways. enjoy whatever card you choose. they all have their pros and cons. and hey wiscountryboy, think you slide a copy of barbie hair my way.
seeya

Sorry

Sorry to sound boastfull, but i used to have a 5200, then i got board of sloppy performance and upgraded to a 9700, that was still abit choppy so i bought a 6800GT. I dont think you should waste you time with a 5200, If you dont mind overclocking I seriously reccomend a 9500 and unlock it to a 9700 via Softmod (website)

http://www.techpowerup.com/softmod/

I do recommend good cooling to do this, but you cant complain as you can pick up 128 9500's of eBay for £30!

Alex

I have been using the 5200 for a while now and I have never had a problem with anything about it - it is an awesome card as far as I am concerned. Yes, there are cards that are a lot better, but they are also a lot more expensive and the improvements are not all that special.

I run a dual display and the 5200 handles every 2D application I use it for, such as heavy Photoshop tasks etc. The 2D applications of this card beats all of the ATI range in my opinion because I have tried a few of the Radeon series at times and they have all had really bad 2D response, not to mention the common "flies" (black flickering) that ATI cards tend to constantly have occurring.

As for 3D stuff - sure it wont play some games as well as other cards, but you have to remember that when games are made, they are made for particular cards. For instance, Unreal Tournament 4 runs perfectly on my 5200 at full res (max'd out everything) with no hiccups and looks amazing - but the game was built for the nVidia chipset and hence, you would expect it to run better. Whereas Doom 3 will not run at all on my 5200 - well, it will run, but only with everything at the minimum setting.

Although, the 5200 handles games that have been made for other chipsets fine as well - I can run Half Life 2 (made for ATI) at almost full res without a hiccup. Other heavy graphics games like Far Cry and Battlefield [whatever one] run fine as well, completely fine and without a worry.

I wouldn't get too worries about having a 5200 - if the rest of your pc is running well, it should be able to handle most of the things you throw at it. Might be useful to keep in mind that you have one when looking at games though, check the specs as most games have a minimum for each chipset now (as in, they will specify a minimum nVidia card and minimum ATI card).

=)

They are not good, sorry to be so forward but i could process applications better with a paper and pen. Sure the 5200 can run 2D, thats about it.

Doom 3 was acctually built on the nVidia chips so this is a werid conclusion you have come to. And you said that it is better than most of the ati range, anyone with X850 PE would probably laugh.

Anyway, if you do decide to improve your gaming experience to barable then 6600GT are only £90~ and they are very impressive cards.

Alex

gamingguy27 said:
Doom 3 was acctually built on the nVidia chips so this is a werid conclusion you have come to. And you said that it is better than most of the ati range, anyone with X850 PE would probably laugh

Really? I was told that it wasn't, must not have much to do with what it was built for then I suppose because Doom 3 kills my 5200 the most out of any game that I have tried on it. Do you know why it would respond so differently to something like HL2? I'd be interested if there is a particular reason why.

I don't think it is better than all of the ATI range, but it certainly does not annoy me as much as the 8600 and the 9800 that I have tested on my system. I think that in regards to the 5200, this dude said it best...

timmoore said:
You may not have the ferrari, but you are the best card in your class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back