Geforce FX5200 Heatsink Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

agissi

So.. BF2 is playing real bad on my kickass system;

Pentium4 2.0GHz @ 2.65GHz
512MB OCZ PC3200
GeforceFX 5200 (<-POS)

barely plays. So I thought yeah maybe I can squeeze out a few more FPS, maybe 10, and BF will loose the lag with the resolution at 800x600, every turned to low and off.
I downloaded a program that unlocked the overclocking tab ( "coolbits" ) when you browse to your videocard adapter's tab (display properties).

I clicked the option in there to " determin optimal speeds ". It clocked my RAM 100MHz faster and Core 50MHz faster. I then applied the OC, and after 5min felt my video card's heatsink - ROASTING.. however the system remained stable.

PB240145.JPG

I felt the ram, it had no heat to it even after a 100MHz boost. So looked to my left.. saw the 3 heatsinks just sitting on my desk. They are retail AMD CPU heatsinks. And so I proceeded with getting some rubbing alchole (cleans thermal paste/goop), pliers, tissues, flash light, yanking the video card, grabbing some super glue, and then cleaned the bottom of one of the heatsinks. Pictures pretty much say the rest.

PB240146.JPG

Stock heatsink off.. and there is the nice gpu after a cleaning. The backside of the heatsink was yet to recieve treatment.

I put some nice (expen$ive) Artic Silver 5 on there, for really good heat transfer, but left room around the edges for a super glue rim.

PB240152.JPG

The heatsink is now inplace and glued on quite well! I decided to move the stocker over to the RAM chips, it turned out to work better than any other heatsink laying around anyways. I put some thermal paste on all of the RAM chips, 2 dots of super glue on each side and wallah.

PB240155.JPG

Not too shabby aye?

And lastly, with the fan.
PB240159.JPG

And in the comp:
PB240164.JPG

I was actually quite proud of myself when it worked and posted. I figured if it didnt work I'd just go buy a Geforce 4000 for $40 on the Best Buy thanksgiving special.

I'll post the speed increases when I start to play with em; I wrote this post first. Im also proud to announce the heatsink is yet to fall off and tear the GPU off with it. [I love the way the card is upside down.. you should feel how heavy it is!]

-Bucky

That is AWESOME!!!! I almost spit my coffee out on my screen after seeing it with the heatsink/fan on there.

Thanks for posting that. Great read! Interested in what kind of OC you'll be able to get now with your 50lb video card! :haha:

Cool. I have a big old socket 478 cooler lying around, maybe it could be made to fit my 6200... I'd only be concerned about the weight of the large heatsink.

Ok, I tried it. Got my old socket 478 cooler on my agp 6200, which is unlocked to a 6600 and oc'ed to 400/575. With just the cooler, it's acutally hotter than the tiny stock fan, but if you put a nice fan so it blows through the fins, it runs very cool. Now I need to figure out how to get a fan attached, it's already huge with the heatsink.

Oh, yeah almost forgot, the hs is attached with zip ties, lol. It actually seems to work ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back