GeForce Nvidia fx 5200 128mb graphics card, only 64 mb is detected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a geforce fx 5200 8x agp 128 mb graphic card. it worked fine for me for about an year. but now suddenly only 64 mb of video ram is detected by my system. i checked the 'dxdiag' dialogue box and it also shows only 64 mb of video ram. reinstalling the drivers, the card itself and tweaking different bios settings has not worked for me. what to do? how can this happen? can a part of video card memory just die like this? if not, then what can i do to restore the 'hidden' 64 mb of it? any answers, suggestions etc. will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I haven't looked up the specs on your card, but usually they are split in two ie 64 + 64 = 128Meg . Even though it's only one card.
I know my 512Meg Vid card does this. It reports two cards in Device Manager as 256M (even though it's only one card)

I don't know all the ins and outs, but I suppose it's faster doing it this way

only one graphic card is shown in device manager

thanks for your reply. i looked up in the device manager and i found only one device under display adapters which was 'NVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5200'. should i have found 2 display adapters there? how can i know that i am indeed having all 128 mb video ram and not just 64 mb? thank you.

You could use System Specs
I just used the link and downloaded it
Then run it
Then selected Display tab
In memory mine says: 536870912 bytes (so I suppose thats 512Meg kind of)

it too shows only 67108864 bytes...

i used that tool but it also says that display memory is only 67108864 bytes i.e. 64mb. i am so sure that this card is a 128 mb one. it was showing 128 mb video ram for almost an year. i don't know how all of a sudden it suffered a memory loss of 64 mb. when i searched on google i had found 2 threads on other forums in which the same problem was discussed but both ended without any solution. i don't understand what this unique problem is. do you think that memory chips of 64 mb capacity are damaged and chips containing remaining 64 mb are still working and so the card is working (if it makes sense at all)?

Oh I've I worked it out!

The extra 64Meg is comming from CMOS

ie. Your card is 64Meg + CMOS set to 128 Meg (an extra 64Meg from Ram)

CMOS
When starting your computer, you will see a message "Press DEL or F2" message "to enter setup" (Note it can be another keyboard key(s) as well)

Anyway in CMOS, you will see an area to adjust your video card to 128Meg
Even though it's only 64Meg !

oh no no! i bought this card separately as a graphic card HAVING 128 mb of video ram. i know for sure that it is not a 64 mb card which was eating another 64 mb from my system ram. even before this problem occured my system ram was 512 mb and graphic card ram was separate 128 mb and now also my ram is 512 mb but graphic card memory has fallen to 64 mb. and i have tried almost every setting in cmos including setting the agp apperture size to 8/16/32/64/128/256 mb but nothing has worked for me so far. i think it is a very very rear problem and i cannot avail of nvidia warrenty as i purchased it from ebay. but it is indeed a nice card which worked and still does the only problem being this memory loss. i could not even find any technical support email address or form on nvidia website. really clueless of what to do.
but thanks for taking interest in solving my problem, i really appreciate that.

here's the reply i got from NVIDIA customer care:-

Hello,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

I understand that you have GeForce FX 5200 128MB graphics card with the driver 163.71 and Windows XP operating system. The computer detected 128MB video memory in the DxDiag report. However, now it shows only 64MB of video memory.

The issue you are having is hardware issue. I suspect that the memory on the graphics card has gone bad or for some reason is not being detected.

Please note that we at NVIDIA manufacture only the basic chipsets and do not build or sell graphics cards. Our partner companies purchase the chipsets from NVIDIA and they build the graphics cards adding components such as memory, output ports etc.

For the above reason, please contact your graphics card manufacturer for assistance as this is hardware issue.

Please feel free to contact us for any further clarifications.

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

so, now i have no hopes that this problem will be solved . i think it is indeed a hardware problem and half the ram chips are gone bad. :-(

but on a positive note, i still have 64 mb left in my graphic card and i won't have to replace my whole card!!! :)

i think this problem is not worth of having any more attention of anybody, it is just a waste of time, i have got to live with it the way it is.

Thanks for your help anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back