GeForce6600GT AGP - Doesn't get enough power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuntis

GeForce6600GT AGP = Bullshi*

Hi, I'm having a little trouble with my GeForce 6600gt (club3d) agp videocard.

I first plugged it in, beeps. I noticed my Power Supply didn't have enough output for the card (put my Radeon 9600 back in, ordered new one)

Well, later I received a new Sweex 400W power supply.

The GeForce worked fine, until it complained about not getting enough power.

How?!

I unplugged my floppy disk drive, it didn't complain about it on Windows startup, but later, after playing some games it started to complain *again*.

Is this a trouble within the card or do I just need to get a new power supply (again)?

it could be a defective card or it could be the power supply yuo bought is substandard. all PSU's are not equal. many of them deliver less that HALF of what their ratings say once they have warmed up. that is why it is best to buy a good brand name PSU, like antec, Vantec, etc.

Remember, wattage rating pretty much means nothing. What you want are high amp ratings on the 12 volt rail(s). That is a where a mobo and consequently cpu and videocard are going to suck power. I've got an Antec 350 watt supply with higher amp ratings than any of my other 450 watt or even many of the 500 watt power supplies listed at retailers. Go figure.

Regards,
Jarod

you definitely need a beefies psu. what's teh 12v on the psu? a 6600gt need around 20 or more amp on the 12v.

Check the sticker on the side. Any decent make should have all the info there.

And no the 6600GT does not need 12 amps. It uses max about ~80Watts (not oc). It uses 5V for the GPU and HSI, and 12V for the Fan.

A decent 400W PSU should work well.

Is the molex connected properly? Is the pins seated properly? Is there a loose connection?

Ruder said:
Is the molex connected properly?
Very pertinent question, many people forget that the 6600GT needs to have a molex connector (the ones you use on IDE devices) feeding it power directly, in its AGP variant.

A design flaw with those connectors - when pressed in uncaringly it does not seat properly and pushes a pin out causing a dry connection.

Opened the case again; figured out that one of my fans was using the same wire. Switched some wires and now it doesn't complain on system startup anymore... Gotta go see if the games make it complain again.

Alright, great, started playing F.E.A.R; made it to the end of the intro until it started lagging terribly and "You do not have enough power to run the graphics card!!111" "NVidia system sentinel" window popped up. Even more annoying than VPU recover and this card sucks.

Can't see inside the PC...

--

edit: As I said I'm going to get a new PSU (again) with enough amps for the card...

Well, this isn't a premade computer but built by myself and my dad, but I don't remember if I do have some HDD LED. *or atleast know what one it is*

That's funny how you say that 6600GT needs more power because I'm using the Radeon X850 PE 256MB AGP card on a 250W PS with no problems whatsoever. Also it's OCed to 570 / 1220 with no problems. I think you got some defected card or motherboard.

Goddamnit, Dad didn't buy an Antec TruePower because the stores suck and they don't have anything. No GeForce for me.

*yes, editing is invented.*

Oh, and do you think it very much like helps me for repeating the same thing? "ZOMFG U DONT HAVE ENOUGH AMPS *****"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back