GeForceFX video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didou

http://www.giga.de/help/helpnite/grafik2.wmv (15.3mb )

The video is taken from a German TV show. The first demo craches at first but runs well the 2nd time. The 2nd demo crashes the system, followed by a nice reboot.:eek:

Later on, certain nVIDIA employees, clarified that it was a driver issue & not hardware related.

I think ATI fanboys popped the champagne when they saw this.:D

Edit : I didn't see there was a post about this in the "got news" section :dead:

Originally posted by Didou
The video is taken from a German TV show. The first demo craches at first but runs well the 2nd time. The 2nd demo crashes the system, followed by a nice reboot.:eek:

I think ATI fanboys popped the champagne when they saw this.:D

Yeah, there was quite a few LOL's over at Rage3d...

And I must admit I found it quite funny too... Kinda like when Bill Gates showes of his new OS, and it crashes...

At the same show, a gamer had asked an nvidia rep about the noise coming from the fan on the FX... The rep then answered "It doesn't matter, as gamers use headphones"....

Now that's how to sell a card! :)

Nvidia is defintely having major problems. missing a product cycle release like they did would have finished off a smaller company. if they miss their projected feb release for the FX they might well not survive for much longer. ATI has cards that outperform the current Nvidia lineup at every level.

no doubt the FX will regain Nvidia the most powerful video card crown but....... releasing one high priced super card isnt going to do Nvidia much good and so far I havent heard any firm details or info about release dates of FX based cards for the low end and mid range product categories. add to that the fact that ATI has taped out its R350 and RV350 chipsets based on the .13 micron process and are on schedule for its projected april release of new cards based on this chipset and Nvidia may have a short reign with its FX card.

so unless ATI drops the ball it looks like at the very least that Nvidia's domination of the video card market is coming to a close

now if only linux would do the same to windows:D

Hehe...

My guess is that Nvidia wil launch the FX with as much publicity as they can muster, to regain the speed crown... A little later they'll introduce the lowerclocked cards without any PR as they'll probably won't be anywhere near ATI's current offering...

I doubt they'll go under, as they've got quite a lot of the market allready, and their brand is well known...
And if they have financial problems, I hope they solve it...
After the demise of 3dfx, Matrox more or less leaving 3d until the Parhelia, and that didn't do what Matrox hoped, I don't think it would be good for us consumers if Nvidia left the scene...

Even though I have several grudges against Nvidia, I seriously hope they'll be able to keep competing/overtaking ATi... They do make fast cards, and push prices downwards...

I just hope that all their lowerclocked versions of the FX is fully DX9 parts, as that would probably help get DX9 games out on the market sooner than what we saw with Dx8...

.02$

hey have any of you seen that demo with the geforce FX??? man it was like looking at SHREK or some other computer generated film.... you think they will have any problem selling this??? think again....

selling the FX isnt the problem. getting it out for sale is the problem. Nvidia rolled the dice hoping that the .13 micron process would be mature enough to allow them to release their next generation card last august-Sept. they lost. and in the window of opportunity afforded by their misstep ATI brought in an entire line of cards that outperforms the current AVAILABLE crop of Nvidia cards. Nvidia is losing market share with many of the big computer companies shipping their systems with ATI cards and even card manufacturers jumping ship to ATI ( the latest being creative labs)

No matter how awesome the top of the line FX card is when it arrives it will not solve Nvidia's problem the top of the line cards is a miniscule segment of the overall sales the company needs to survive. the bread and butter cards for any company are the low end and mid range cards and there is nothing of those even in sight yet with Nvidia. even whent he FX card is released Nvidia will have nothing to compete with ATI at the low and midrange product categories. add to that the fact that within a month or two of the launch of the FX ATI will release their next cards based on the R350 chipset and may very well equal if not surpass the FX in power. I think Nvidia will survive but they are not going to be in the dominant position they have enjoyed for so long.

That said the volitilaty of the video card market is such that at this time next year the situation may be completely reversed. but personally I think that baring a goof by ATI they will maintain their lead and gain more market share over the next year.

If ATI bring out a DDR-II equipped 9700 Pro then the GeforceFX when it comes around might not have too much of a lead, if any...

the 9700 has more memory bandwidth than the fx already, as it uses 256bit memory instead of 128bit used on the geforce, so won't ddrII actually slow it down unless that is run with a 256bit bus as well?

The R9700 Pro is fillrate limited so the best performance gain would be achieved by running the core at higher speeds. DDR2 won't bring much of a performance boost, not to mention the extra price-premium from using such memory.

I'm still waiting for R9700 ( non-pro ) cards to be available. That's a much more interesting chip IMO.;)

From what I have read ATI's move to DDRII is going to be short lived since they are planning on having cards with what they call DDRIII out sometime after july.

Given that the ATI built 9700 pro's were being easily overclocked to 400mhz with no problems I would venture that a die shrink to .13 microns will very likely give ATI a 500MHZ core speed for their R350 based cards.

It will be interesting to see if ATI employs some sort of limiter on the 97000 non pro cards to prevent them from being overclocked. it will also be interesting to see if Nvidia pulls another "MX" scam with their new cards, overclocking Gforce 4's and rebadging them as FX-lite's something or another.

iss> It's GDDR3 you're thinking about... It's DDRII modified a wee bit to better suit the needs for a graphics card (hence the name)...
I'll see if I can find a link to more info tomorrow...

Phantasm> Yeah, the demos for the FX look good... But most of that functionality is also in the 9700pro... Off course, the 9700pro won't be able to do exactly the same thing as the FX, as the FX demos are using nvidia only extensions/cg, but you'd most likely be able to get the same result if Dx9 or OGL1.3...

Another interesting thing I came across earlier today...

Nvidia is claiming that the FX will be about 30% faster than the 9700pro, which is a good speed increase!
Xbitlabs decided to see if there were any possibilty to get a 30% increase from the 9700pro here... (A quite interesting read imo) They managed to get the a core increase of 38.5% and a memory increase of 29%!

Granted this isn't something that most of us should try to undertake, but it shows that ATI has some headroom left in the .15 process for the R350, which is said to be released in early spring 2003...

Even if ATI doesn't manage to crush the FX with it, it will make it very interesting to be a consumer this spring, with prices (more or less) guarantied to plummet (on the current offerings) :)

.02$

[EDIT]'ed some typos, and fixed some sentences/grammar[/EDIT]

MrGaribaldi, yeah your right it is GDDR3 I read the article just didnt rmember the details. I am with you I cant wait for Nvidia and ATI to release their new cards so I can buy a 9700 pro at a reduced price.

Nvidia is king!

and shall rise to the top again :p

i've got a machine at work with a Radeon 9700 Pro and i couldn't get FIFA2003 to work without all manner of messing about with it.

it's that, that i like about Nvidia, out of the box ownage ;D if u will

Dude, with new drivers these cards KICK ***! I got mine last night, and Oh My God! I personaly am preferring this upgrade to the Kyro2 - Ti.4600 switch i made in April.

Ok at 1024x768 No Anti Aliasing/Anastrophic Filtering its not much faster than the Ti.4600, but with the settings up, there is such a massive boost in performance you would not beleive! I had no problems with drivers WHAT SO EVER, and the ATI control panel is so much nicer than Nvidia!

I still love Nvidia and some of the products they make (nforce2), but the GF4 Ti. doesnt cut it at the resolutions i want to play at! Before, playing BF1942 i could go upto 1280x960 2xAA and it would run ok-ish...

...now 1600x1200/4xAA/16xAF runs at about 90fps! Its phenominal, and the Image Quality is :slurp:

Here is a picture of BF1942 running in 4xAA/NoAF:

Hercules9700PRO Image Quality

Please play some "decent" games with the card before you dismiss it

Cucumber

Originally posted by Greeno
Nvidia is king!

and shall rise to the top again :p

i've got a machine at work with a Radeon 9700 Pro and i couldn't get FIFA2003 to work without all manner of messing about with it.

I had games on my current machine that kept crashing with my GF3. Not had a single problem since I put a 9700 Pro into it.
ATI have come a long way with their drivers, with the ones released since the introduction of the 9700 Pro I would say they are close to the level of quality that Nvidia provide.

And Cucumber, your image isn't accessible. Nevermind I'll just load it up myself when I get back to the UK ;)

Got one too huh Arris:cool:
...Awesome cards, what sort of games do you play? Any you would reccomend with superb Image Quality to show my mates:p

...Stupid *** Geocities :mad: after like 10 people have looked at it within 24hours its classed as being over my bandwidth :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Cucumber

Please play some "decent" games with the card before you dismiss it

Cucumber

hmm, and who are you to choose my preference in games again ?

you didnt mention any games you were actually playing then, was MS Train Sim too embarrasing eh ? ;)

you didnt mention any games you were actually playing then

You reckon the screenshot of BattleField might have given it away;)

But seriously dude, FIFA2003 doesn;t really show the full potential of such a card...and did you try new drivers? :confused:

Just a little tip to view images on Geocities... Add "??" (without the quotes), and it'll load... Just a nice little "bug" :)

http://www.geocities.com/secucumber/9700.jpg will be stopped when bandwidth limit is reached.

http://www.geocities.com/secucumber/9700.jpg?? will not be stopped when bandwidth limit is reached....

I'm just gonna add my two "Mr.G" i.e. 0,02$ :D

I've been using 3Dfx graphicscards till they got bought up by Nvidia (then I used a Voodoo5 5500 AGP) which worked beautifully in Win2K, not a single crash for over a year...

But then the 5500 started to feel to slow so I bought ATI's 8500... That also worked wonders, great image quality, and counterwise to what everyone says; the drivers at that stage didn't give me any problems at all...

But recently I switched my 8500 to a Geforce4 just so I could do the v-mod article and test CPUFX's watercooler on one, and I've gotten allot of blue-screens, even with certified drivers...

So I'm not really to impressed with their drivers... Sure, their unified architecture is a great move; I wish the whole industry would follow... But for me, well, I just haven't had the best of luck I guess...

I dunno yet if my next GFX card will come from Nvidia or ATI, though I'm thinking of going Nvidia just because their new Geforce FX is partly a 3Dfx product (as they even said in the 212mb Geforce FX "story" movie...

Time will tell, that's my essay for the day ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back