Get real IP behind router

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenateKT

My network uses Static IP's behind a router I need to get the mail routed directly to my exchange box, how do I locate the external IP address of a computer on the network? When I do IPconfig I get the 192.168.0.x assigned by the router. I want to find the real external IP on the exchange box.

I know I can see mine by going into a web browser and putting in my default gateway, that takes me to the login screen for my router. I put in username and password then it shows on left hand side.

You can see your default gateway from ipconfig

ya I need the static IP of a server on a network behind a router. the router assigns internal address's to every computer I need a single computers external.

Click on the network icon in the task tray thing, click Support (this is for Win XP) - it will tel you there.

If your gateway is 192.168.0.1 your LAN IP will be something like 192.168.0.2/3/4 etc

You don't have a visible IP from outside your NAT. What you need to do is forward the traffic on the specific ports to your internal address - the 192.168.x.x address. Then give your external IP (the one from whatismyip.com).

As LNCPapa hinted - your computers do not have "individual" external IP addresses. By default you get only one public IP that is shared by all your computers. Some better home routers let you add more external IPs and assign them to specific PCs, but that's probably an overkill for you.

And yes, as LNCPapa said, forget about the "individual" IP. Just forward the relevant ports to the computer you want to serve the requests. For mail, you probably want to forward TCP port 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back