Get vehicle stats sent directly to your iPhone with Automatic Link

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A San Francisco startup called Automatic Labs is now accepting orders for a device designed to monitor your vehicle’s vital stats and send them directly to your smartphone. The program is able to keep track of a variety of parameters and even issues a weekly driving score designed to make you a better driver.

Automatic Link is a small dongle that plugs into your vehicle’s ODB-II port, the same connection a mechanic uses to diagnose your car during maintenance. Every car sold in the US since 1996 is required to have the port so unless you’re driving something older than that, you’re in business. No professional installation is needed as the dongle simply plugs right into the port located under the steering wheel.

Before using the hardware, you’ll need to download the iPhone app, plug in the dongle then pair the two using Bluetooth 4.0. As of writing, Automatic Link only works with the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 but we are told an Android version will be available later this fall.

When in use, Automatic Link works with your phone’s GPS and data plan as a smart assistant. The unit is able to learn your driving style and even gives subtle audio cues to help you drive more efficiently. Examples include avoiding heavy breaking, heavy acceleration and not speeding. All of these can lead to better gas mileage and a safer overall trip. In the event you are in a crash, Automatic Link can call for help on your behalf and even send a text message to loved ones letting them now what happened and where you are.

Automatic Link is now available for pre-order for $69.95 with no subscription fees. The first batch of units will be shipping this May.

Permalink to story.

That's cool - and for the other 80% of us with anything other then an Apple OS on our smartphones - can we expect a version too?

I thought there already was a device that read the ODB-II and sent the stats wirelessly to android devices..for example, theres this app called Torque Pro that can receive stats from the many different ODB-II readers that transmit over bluetooth, I dont see why this made the news :S

I thought there already was a device that read the ODB-II and sent the stats wirelessly to android devices..for example, theres this app called Torque Pro that can receive stats from the many different ODB-II readers that transmit over bluetooth, I dont see why this made the news :S

This seems to be a little more advanced than torque pro. I'm kinda looking forward to it for android.

1. Buy OBD2 Bluetooth Diagnostic (pluggy thingie) from Ebay for $10.

2. Buy Torque Pro (appy thingie) from Google Play for $5.

3. Do the macarena.

So it's basically mbrace (lite) at a fraction of the cost. Good stuff!

If this thing just sends information to my smartphone, then why does it work with my data plan.
Also why the mention of no subscription fee?
Me thinks your data will be sent to more than just your smartphone and that GPS will be used for more than just seeing if your braking too hard
Collected information is valuable. I don't think I'll be giving them mine.

If this thing just sends information to my smartphone, then why does it work with my data plan.
Also why the mention of no subscription fee?
Me thinks your data will be sent to more than just your smartphone and that GPS will be used for more than just seeing if your braking too hard
Collected information is valuable. I don't think I'll be giving them mine.

If you're in an accident, the app will notify 911 of your position, and send help. That's why it needs your data plan. Don't break out your tin foil just yet, because that doesn't sound too sinister to me.

No foil hat here. You can dial 911 on any mobile phone without service contract of any kind (as in old phone no plan) as long as the sim card is still in it.
So I ask again it uses my data plan why?

No foil hat here. You can dial 911 on any mobile phone without service contract of any kind (as in old phone no plan) as long as the sim card is still in it.
So I ask again it uses my data plan why?

But can you text friends or family members without one, like this app does? It's all there in the story if you just take the time to read it.

Not yet another privacy breaker!
I am concerned about the stats usage.
What they fall into the hands of a police investigator?
An insurance company?

Wow that's nice. Too bad that was available for Android devices almost 2 years ago.

Awesome! I needed another reason to look at my smartphone while driving!
Me too. Simply talking on my phone & SMS'ing while outrunning the cops simply wasn't exciting enough. If they use this gadget as well I can monitor their cruisers & send the data to them during the chase.

An insurance company?

You think they're going to send those out on your behalf? Not everything is about big brother. It's your responsibility to make sure your phone is password protected, as there have already been rulings that unlocked phones aren't protected under the 4th amendment.

An insurance company?

Well said ArthurZ and exactly why I raised the question of whether or not that data was being sent to just my phone.
Question raised I'm done here.

Pretty cool and useful. I can see parents of driving teens using this, I certainly would/will (I don't have to worry about that for at least another 5 years, just enough time to re-mortgage the house in order to afford the car insurance). Now, where's the guy who usually chimes in about the government tracking our every move. He'll love this one.

Back