TechSpot

Get vehicle stats sent directly to your iPhone with Automatic Link

By Shawn Knight
Mar 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A San Francisco startup called Automatic Labs is now accepting orders for a device designed to monitor your vehicle’s vital stats and send them directly to your smartphone. The program is able to keep track of a variety of parameters...

Read more

2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 994   +89

That's cool - and for the other 80% of us with anything other then an Apple OS on our smartphones - can we expect a version too?

3. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 117

The article says there should be an Android version coming.

4. It supports android

5. Punkid

Punkid TS Maniac Posts: 547

I thought there already was a device that read the ODB-II and sent the stats wirelessly to android devices..for example, theres this app called Torque Pro that can receive stats from the many different ODB-II readers that transmit over bluetooth, I dont see why this made the news :S

6. Sounds cool, but it's OBD-II and heavy braking, not breaking.

Wendig0 likes this.
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,192   +749

Awesome! I needed another reason to look at my smartphone while driving!

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  8. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

This seems to be a little more advanced than torque pro. I'm kinda looking forward to it for android.

9. 1. Buy OBD2 Bluetooth Diagnostic (pluggy thingie) from Ebay for $10.

2. Buy Torque Pro (appy thingie) from Google Play for $5.

3. Do the macarena.

10. Wendig0

Not yet it doesn't. There isn't an app available for android yet.

11. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,596   +627

So it's basically mbrace (lite) at a fraction of the cost. Good stuff!

12. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 894   +173

I like the idea. Will be looking forward to the android release.

13. If this thing just sends information to my smartphone, then why does it work with my data plan.
    Also why the mention of no subscription fee?
    Me thinks your data will be sent to more than just your smartphone and that GPS will be used for more than just seeing if your braking too hard
    Collected information is valuable. I don't think I'll be giving them mine.

14. Wendig0

If you're in an accident, the app will notify 911 of your position, and send help. That's why it needs your data plan. Don't break out your tin foil just yet, because that doesn't sound too sinister to me.

15. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Looks awesome.

16. No foil hat here. You can dial 911 on any mobile phone without service contract of any kind (as in old phone no plan) as long as the sim card is still in it.
    So I ask again it uses my data plan why?

17. Wendig0

But can you text friends or family members without one, like this app does? It's all there in the story if you just take the time to read it.

18. ArthurZ

ArthurZ TS Rookie Posts: 79

Not yet another privacy breaker!
    I am concerned about the stats usage.
    What they fall into the hands of a police investigator?
    An insurance company?

19. Wow that's nice. Too bad that was available for Android devices almost 2 years ago.

20. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,421   +821

Me too. Simply talking on my phone & SMS'ing while outrunning the cops simply wasn't exciting enough. If they use this gadget as well I can monitor their cruisers & send the data to them during the chase.

21. Wendig0

You think they're going to send those out on your behalf? Not everything is about big brother. It's your responsibility to make sure your phone is password protected, as there have already been rulings that unlocked phones aren't protected under the 4th amendment.

22. Not yet another privacy breaker!
    I am concerned about the stats usage.
    What they fall into the hands of a police investigator?
    An insurance company?

Well said ArthurZ and exactly why I raised the question of whether or not that data was being sent to just my phone.
    Question raised I'm done here.

23. Droid had it years ago...Apple users claim it's another stolen idea.

24. Mark Christie

Mark Christie TS Rookie

I already have a wireless equivalent that tells me when I'm driving to fast, breaking to hard, etc. My wife!

25. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +108

Pretty cool and useful. I can see parents of driving teens using this, I certainly would/will (I don't have to worry about that for at least another 5 years, just enough time to re-mortgage the house in order to afford the car insurance). Now, where's the guy who usually chimes in about the government tracking our every move. He'll love this one.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.