Getac's rugged convertibles get Ivy Bridge, sunlight-readable screens

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Getac has updated two of its rugged convertible notebooks with more horsepower and functionality. In addition to receiving Intel's mobile Ivy Bridge chips, the V100 and V200 have been equipped with a new "QuadraClear" display technology that enables clear viewing in direct sunlight -- pretty essential for daily field use.

As the smaller machine, the V100 offers slightly less variety in hardware selection. Specifications include a 10.4-inch 1024x768 screen with a 1200-nit brightness, pressure-sensitive multitouch and an optional digitizer, a Core i7-640UM (1.2-2.26GHz), 4GB of DDR3 RAM (expandable to 8GB) and a 320GB HDD with an optional 80GB SSD. Scaling up, the V200 has a 12.1-inch 1280x800 display and provides the choice between Intel's Core i5-560M (2.66-3.2GHz) and Core i7-620LM (2.0-2.80GHz).

getac

Both machines tout MIL-STD 810G and IP65 certifications, guaranteeing them to withstand stress from shocks, vibrations, drops and extreme temperatures ranging from -4F to 140F (-20C to 60C). If that's not good enough, it seems Getac can further ruggedize the systems if you're willing to pay for it. The V100 is listed as measuring 11.4 x 8.74 x 1.93 inches and weighing 5.51lbs, while the V200 is 12.4 x 8.7 x 1.9 inches and 5.95lbs.

Other noteworthy features include an 83-key waterproof membrane keyboard (backlighting optional), an optional resistive touchpad, an ExpressCard slot, a reversible 2MP camera, two USB 2.0 ports (including one eSATA combo), an IEEE 1394a port, a Serial port, RJ-45 and RJ-11 network jacks, a VGA output, audio in and out, and a docking connector.

Also optional are 3G, Bluetooth v2.1, GPS, a fingerprint scanner and night vision. The machines ship with Windows 7 preinstalled as well as a five-year warranty. Pricing is unknown (you have to request a quote) but units seem to be available now.

Permalink to story.

Now all it needs is to contain an exoskeleton and you could be Iron Man.

And why would anyone go with the HDD.

"And why would anyone go with the HDD"

Simple, because HDD offers higher capacity than and longer data lifetime than SSD.. oh, by the way, Getac offer SSD as an option.

But its not painted millitary green
so, its not get close enough to offerings from Corsair and Thermaltake

The processors you listed here (Core i7-640UM and i5-560M) are not Ivy Bridge.
Maybe the specs you listed are from the previous versions?

Nonsense product. A well-rugged laptop today does not need to be a whole suit-case, like it was years back.

One would be better off getting a robust laptop/ultra-book + shock-damping (and water-resistant) case separately.

"Nonsense product. A well-rugged laptop today does not need to be a whole suit-case, like it was years back."
"One would be better off getting a robust laptop/ultra-book + shock-damping (and water-resistant) case separately."

--> it depends on what your needs anyway, it's military grade laptop..

Had these at the last Airbase I was stationed at. We went through them pretty quite, the screens don't like wrenches being droped on them. They held up better than I would of guessed, the survive a drop from the wing tip of an A-10. Which was so cool, I kinda wanted to drop them on purpose. overall it was a nice product but the price tag on this suckers are insane. But if you are in an extreme setting they will not disapoint.

This rugged laptop still doesn't have military-looks compared than Thermaltake Level 10 GT or Corsair C70 :D

Back