Getting an X2 after price drops...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjps220

As most of you probably know, the prices of Athlon X2 processors are going to drop once conroe is released. I have heard anywhere from 30-50%. I even found this chart which shows the prices of the x2 line after Conroe's launch. I have no idea how accurate it will prove to be.

So, because I am already on a 939 setup, and I don't want to get new memory and another mobo, I want to use conroe's launch to get myself a cheap X2.

The question is, which one?

I currently have a 3500+ (which will be going to a friend or family member) and I wanted something that would be as good as that if not better even in single threaded programs. This will probably be done with some overclocking, but not a lot. I want to get to around 2.3-2.4 out of it, and I plan on getting an arctic cooling freezer 64 pro.

My main question is, would the 2.2 ghz 4200+ be built any differently than the 2.0 ghz 3800? If I overclock my 3800 to the exact clock speed of the 4200, are they basically identical? I don't want to get a toledo because I've heard they run hotter and the extra L2 doesn't do as much as people think (It also helps that I'm cheap!), so I'm trying to decide between these two.

Opinions?

the 3800's overclock nicely, not sure what the exact specs are, but mine while overclocked runs cool, not sure how it compares to the 4400 though, i'd say go the 3800 route though

3800 would be better (unless there is only a small price difference)

Regards,

Korrupt

This is quoted from: www.xbitlabs.com

Unfortunately, the transition to Socket AM2 form-factor is unlikely to make dual-core AMD processors more popular. Even though the transition helps enlarge the product range in the dual-core segment, it will not lead to any price drop there. All Athlon 64 X2 CPUs will continue shipping for over $300 a piece, which will hardly help them win more market. Especially, since Intel has thrown quite a bit of inexpensive dual-core processors into the market getting ready for the new Core micro-architecture based solutions. For example, the youngest dual-core processor from Intel has already dropped below the $150 bar. So, from this prospective looks like Intel is the primary force for further dual-core processors promotion.

The site also contains a good table for prices on X2 series processors.

table2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back