Getting rid of system-start drivers

By SubKamran
Dec 22, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I unistalled my sound card's drivers, but there's some entries left SOMEWHERE and my Event Viewer annoys me about it every time I boot up (it's not causing problems, but...)

Where in the registry/INI files can I get rid of these? My sound card is now non-existant (it's sitting beside me) and I don't want leftovers!
  2. tripleione

tripleione Newcomer, in training Posts: 181

Have you removed them from the Add/Remove applet in the Windows control panel and remove the card from your device manager?
  3. SubKamran

SubKamran Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 303

Yes. It's detected my onboard sound. (and it works)
  4. tripleione

tripleione Newcomer, in training Posts: 181

Try removing the files from C:\Windows\System32\drivers (if they are there), then opening up the Configuration utility (Start -> Run -> type in msconfig -> OK) and uncheck any box underneath the StartUp tab that is referenced or related to your sound card.
  5. SubKamran

Didn't work, and there's no reference to any of the files in msconfig
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 837

usually things like that are found in the registry under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

All you have to do is delete the related entry in the right pane of Regedit

as always, editing the registry is very dangerous. You can seriously damage windows playing around in there.
  7. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

What Windows?

Select "show hidden devices" in Device Manager (in XP/2k) and "uninstall" everything related to your soundcard.
  8. Krugger

Krugger Newcomer, in training Posts: 210

download a program called regcleaner, run it, delete any references to creative, soundblaster, those drivers, etc. (i'm assuming you have a SB from your post)
    otherwise i use regstudio to access my registry over regedit. find something similar, then search your registry for those files, remove any referrences.
  9. Shiney

Shiney TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 223

Or run regedit from start menu and do a search for ctsyn. Use match whole string only. Then delete reference to it
  10. SubKamran

Holy sh*t. I never knew that!

I LEARNED SOMETHING NEW, FINALLY!

Let's see if that fixed it (I uninstalled the drivers)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.