Gf4 Ti4400 - which brand is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker3in4

I am in the market for a GF4 Ti4400, I have seen various brands of this card, which one is best, or better? Which brands should I avoid?

The XFX (Pine) is the least expensive, followed by the

Leadtek OEM (I really dont need the games etc that come in a retail box.

The Chaintek is next, then
MSI, then
VGA EVGA, then
VGA PNY, then
Visiontek, then
Gainward Expert.

Thats 8 different brands of the same card! Any experiences with these brands, or why there is a 40 price difference between the high and low brands? Which one should I get?
I am running a P4 1.8AGhz machine w/512 RDRAM, if any of that matters to the card. Thanks

Husker,

Have you considered the Ti4200? PNY is making one with 64mb DDR that supposedly screams! $179. http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=293567
Lifetime warranty too. :cool:

If you are set on the Ti4400: look for the lowest ns of RAM used (3.5ns is good), a big fan (hopefully covering the RAM too) & a good heatsink package on the RAM & the GPU. ;)

FWIW: I have a VisionTek MX400 & although I am happy with the card, it is a 'stock' (no fan, no RAM heatsinks & 6ns memory) card. I have spoken to PNY & they have 'built' the Ti4200 above 'stock' & they are very customer oriented. I've also spoken to Pine. 'Stock' cards like VT. All were freindly & helpful, but PNY went the extra step & had a 'tech' contact me to explain, in detail, my ?'s I like that! :grinthumb

HTH,

I have a Chaintek TI 4400.Its been a great videocard so far although I haven't overclocked it yet.I paid $245.00 for the retail version at newegg.

Err Why wasnt Nvidia up there? U cant get a better Ti4200 than a Nvidia chipset and card. The reference drivers will work better and all the components are of a better quality.

Originally posted by Tweakster
Err Why wasnt Nvidia up there? U cant get a better Ti4200 than a Nvidia chipset and card. The reference drivers will work better and all the components are of a better quality.

nVIDIA doesn't sell cards. They just sell the chips to companies such as gainward & these companies manufacture the cards & sell them.

ATI used to make its own cards but now it's also selling chips to companies that release the cards ( Allthough you can still find ATI cards built by ATI ). Matrox still does its cards itself.

Tweakster, all GeForce chips are made by nVidia, none of the cards are. That is why I am asking for the brands with the best performance, least problems. The game bundle, extras etc really don't matter as I probably won't ever use TV-out or play the games they bundle.

I think they are all very close in performance(TI 4400s),it depends on what manufacturer you like and the price you want to pay.Also some may overclock better than others.

Ok so i must be slightly dim. This is my card, whos it made buy. I paid 150 for it about a year ago and its served me well so i dont mind if its not Nvidia Geforce3 but whos the maufactorer please?

Ok so i must be slightly dim. This is my card, whos it made buy. I paid 150 for it about a year ago and its served me well so i dont mind if its not Nvidia Geforce3 but whos the maufactorer please?
Download SiSoft Sandra from http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/san_dem/html/dload.htm
Under the./.......... buses (?) section it lists devices installed on your PCI/AGP bus it'll show there what you have, e.g. my creative geforce 4 is listed as MSI because creative outsourced manufacturing to them.
NVIDIA "never" sell their own graphics cards, they just do the "GPU". You do have a NVIDIA GeForce 3 though.
, just its an MSI/Asus........ GeForce3.

Hmmmmm....... ok, load SiSoft, select PCI, AGP, CardBUS Buses Information, then use the "Bus" drop down menu to select one until the GeForce 3 pops up.
In the info. window check the "Product Device Name".

Sorry Thomas but its the same

NVIDIA Corp Geforce3 [NV20]

lol is this bugging u ?
No, not realy just seems pretty wierd for a manufacturer not to stick their name on the card in someway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back