Gigabyte executive claims Nvidia GeForce GTX 880 will launch in September

Scorpus

Staff member

Over the past few months there have been many dubious rumors attempting to identify when Nvidia will launch their new line of graphics cards. Everything from a launch in a few weeks to a launch at the end of the year has been suggested, creating a confusing situation for someone wanting to plan their next GPU purchase.

Perhaps the most credible source yet has appeared, giving us an indication of when Nvidia's upcoming flagship, the GeForce GTX 880, will be released. According to a Gigabyte executive, interviewed by Expreview at the ChinaJoy Conference in Shanghai, Nvidia will launch the new GPU in September.

Gigabyte themselves are working on a custom-cooled variant of the GTX 880 called the G1.Gamer, which will feature a cooler capable of dissipating up to 650W of heat. The heatsink is apparently large enough that it can passively cool the GTX 880 in some situations, meaning the included fans are only necessary during heavy loads.

That's not to say the Maxwell-based GTX 880 will have a TDP of 650W; it'll likely be something much more reasonable, similar to what we've seen in current GPUs. The card will feature Nvidia's GM204 GPU, with rumored specs indicating a 256-bit memory bus and 4GB of GDDR5 memory (at least initially).

Videocardz, who also state that the GTX 880 will launch in September, believe the graphics card will retail between $400 and $450. This would place the card at a similar launch price to the GTX 770, if true.

Previous leaks allegedly show an engineering sample of the GTX 880, although the final model will likely differ slightly on both hardware and PCB design.

Permalink to story.

That price seems a bit low for a new flagship model... the only way that the GTX 880 launches for less than $500 is if it is slower than at GTX 780.

Would you believe Nividia's 28nm, 650W & 4GBDDR5 GTX880 would retail for a price that would purposefully annihilate it's own current top three products?

Unless they're selling nada, it's logistically impossible to make a profit from a move like that.

Who really says the 880 will be the definitive flagship card? How do we know they don't pull a 880 Ti or 890, just to be funny about it. I know the x90's tend to be (I think) dual GPU? Still we can't expect them to drop something that sub-par either, but it's not like they won't push something big.

4K is still somewhat new, not really mainstream, along with being hard to push on most individual cards. I'm sadly still running a 660 (not even a Ti), due to the case constraints and budget limits as of late. So any pushing for price drops is welcome, as it will just help my budget even more.

That price seems a bit low for a new flagship model... the only way that the GTX 880 launches for less than $500 is if it is slower than at GTX 780.

Remember this is the first generation Maxwell, and just like the first generation Fermi and Kepler before them Nvidia used a lower power GPU in the flagship significantly overclocked/unlocked.

The 680 was just a G107, and rumor has it that the 880 is a G204. Judging by the trend of GPU releases, it would be rather foolish to buy a flagship in generation 1 from AMD or Nvidia, but especially now with Maxwell. Wait for 980 GTX to see the might of the G210.

With todays best GPUs in SLi/Crossfire struggling to run 4K worth a damn I will be waiting quite some time before I upgrade from my 670.
It is nice to see faster and more affordable 4K panels like the Acer B286HK release, 2MS is quite impressive.

Rumour has it this card will replace the GTX770 and be slightly faster but will still be below the 780's and Titan cards, hence its suggested retail price. As well as being slightly faster it will also be more power efficient and quieter. The replacement for the 780 and Titan won't land until next year and will most likely be 20nm parts and they won't be at a bargain price!!!

Back