Gigabyte's GV-N66T128VP (GForce 6600GT) - way too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodbatH

Hi guys, i got this GPU mentioned in the title and till now everything was just great, but yesterday, he stated to get realy hot, 90-100c after 15-20 minutes in guild wars (RPG), ad it got higher and highet till i quit the game, then it stabilized on 70c ....what can i do? it never got so hot, not over the 75c even while playing doom3...
I've read that the "thermal pad" may not sit good enough, and my question is, what is the thermal pad? ad how can i check if it realy moved?

* This card got no fan, only huge pipes on both sides

This is my computer:

ABIT NF7-S2G mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2700+
256DDR *2 (dual channel)

I realy need help with this one.

6800 gt

Is this an out of the box over clocked ver?

I have a BFG 6800 gt oc that comes with copper sink and dual fans.
plus I run a slot fan on top side.
I would get some form of fan going on it! :hotbounce
G'Luck!

Video cards with passive cooling run hotter then cards with regular cooling. It's the price you have to pay for silence. All the reviews I've seen for this board indicate that it does run hot even with very good case cooling.

Are you getting problems in games ? Texture corruption ? Crashes ?

The thermal pad goes between the cpu/gpu and the heatsink. Its function is to conduct heat from one to the other. Without it, there would be air gaps between them and the cpu/gpu would soon overheat.

You can't really check it without taking it apart. However, if you do, you'll have to clean the mating surfaces and reapply a new pad or thermal compound. There are special cleaning solutions for this. You don't want to just stick it back together.

Alcohol will do

mailpup said:
There are special cleaning solutions for this. You don't want to just stick it back together.

Whiles you dont want to just stick back togther, you do not need a special cleaning solution, rubbing alcohol will do the job, just try to get the highest conectration you can. As far as fanless cards go, didou is on the mark, they run alot hotter then regualr cards, you might want to upgrade to a differnt VGA cooler. But if the games are running fine, then i would see why...

Sean

if gigabyte failed to properly affix the heatsink (virtually impossible) the card would've burned up already.

Well, my system crashes after 15-20 minutes of gameplay...anyway the card was never hotter than 70c, and now it gets much hotter (1ooc+) so there is a problem I just dont know what it is...anyway I send the card for replacement, hopefully the'll let me know what is the reasonable temperature of this card.

It appears the spider has us in da web

Google Spider

Only other thread about this

Test system:
Shuttle SB61G2 v3
P4 3.4GHz Northwood
Ballistix 1GB PC3200
WD Raptor SATA 74GB
ForceWare 71.84 WHQL

Room temp: 30° C
GPU clock: default @ 500MHz/1.12GHz

Idle temp: 61° C
After 1 hour gaming: 76° C
After 1 hour rthdribl: 87° C

** Temps are ~5° C cooler if I underclock **:knock:

Thanks SOcRatEs, the temperatures sounds reasonable, anyway I've already sent the card for replacement and the guys there talled me that its OK for this card to get even to 120c BUT, my card is a "power eater", it takes much more power than it needs...I'll get a new one in a few days, thanks a lot guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back