GM won't discontinue the Chevy Bolt after all; confirms plans for second-gen model

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? In a stunning u-turn, General Motors has reversed its decision to discontinue the Chevrolet Bolt EV and is instead planning to launch a new model of the popular vehicle in the future. The Bolt is a subcompact hatchback electric vehicle that was developed in partnership with South Korean conglomerate LG and is the most popular battery electric car in GM's portfolio.

In April 2023, GM CEO Mary Barra announced plans to discontinue the Bolt and Bolt EUV by the end of this year to make room for the company's next-generation electric vehicles. The current model has been plagued by a multitude of problems since its launch, including a massive recall of more than 68,000 units in late 2020 over battery fire concerns. In 2021, the company expanded the recall to include more vehicles after discovering that the problem was more widespread than it previously thought. The recall was initiated after several units of the Bolt with fully or partially changed batteries caught fire, injuring at least two people.

Notwithstanding the trials and tribulations with the first-gen model, the company has now seemingly made a U-turn within just three months of the earlier announcement. In its press release, GM did not offer a direct reason for its change of heart, but Barra pointed out that the current Bolt has been delivering "record sales and some of the highest customer satisfaction and loyalty scores in the industry."

Barra also confirmed that the new Bolt will use GM's Ultium technology that the company claims reduces battery costs by 40 percent compared to the batteries used in the current Bolt EV and EUV. In terms of when customers can expect the new model, Barra said that it will be introduced to the market on an "accelerated timeline," but did not offer any ETA.

Barra also did not discuss a possible price tag for the new Bolt, but the lower costs of the Ultium platform could help GM price the car attractively. With the current base model costing customers just around $27,000, its successor could also potentially have an MSRP below $30,000, helping cement the Bolt's stature as one of the most affordable EVs in the U.S. market.

Alongside the Chevy Bolt, GM has a number of other electric vehicles in its portfolio, but all of them are significantly more expensive. That includes the GMC Hummer EV, the Cadillac Lyriq SUV, and the Silverado Electric pick-up truck. In addition to the aforementioned vehicles, the company has also announced plans to launch an electric version of its popular Equinox SUV later this year, with prices expected to start at around $30,000.

Permalink to story.

Electric cars (at this time) need to be like the Volt. An EV with a gas generator / range extender.

Not sure why the Volt failed.

The Volt wasn't originally as popular as it is today but once the buying public realized its advantages sales took off. The biggest improvement they could make in the next generation is to bring the prices way down and extend the range with the newest batteries. Get that price down to compete with the new Toyota pick up and Ford Maverick and you will have the next VW bug ..... "the people's car".

Translation: "We realized that it was akin to shooting yourself in the foot to stop producing our best-selling EV."
Washington called....If you do that we will do this...
Everything comes down to politics? :rolleyes:
I'll look at your comments this way: I can depend on you to bring politics to every thread. 📣🤣

Last edited:
The Volt wasn't originally as popular as it is today but once the buying public realized its advantages sales took off. The biggest improvement they could make in the next generation is to bring the prices way down and extend the range with the newest batteries. Get that price down to compete with the new Toyota pick up and Ford Maverick and you will have the next VW bug ..... "the people's car".
When Toyota puts their solid battery on the market...

Electric cars (at this time) need to be like the Volt. An EV with a gas generator / range extender.

Not sure why the Volt failed.
It didnt fail. Scary Mary announced that Chevy was going to "go green"., So they killed the Volt. you know, to go green.

It's a chevy thing, it makes perfect sense to them!

It didnt fail. Scary Mary announced that Chevy was going to "go green"., So they killed the Volt. you know, to go green.

It's a chevy thing, it makes perfect sense to them!
⤜(ⱺ ʖ̯ⱺ)⤏

Until batteries and power grid are fixed, The perfect "EV" / Hybrid would have 100 miles on electric and a gas generator to recharge the batteries for greater range.[/TD]

⤜(ⱺ ʖ̯ⱺ)⤏

Until batteries and power grid are fixed, The perfect "EV" / Hybrid would have 100 miles on electric and a gas generator to recharge the batteries for greater range.[/TD]
Hybrids are the worst of both worlds. Expensive, more prone to fires then either other option, and tons of complicated wiring and mechanical marrying in some unholy matrimony.

The "perfect" EV right now is one that gets the price to a reasonable point while offering a decent interior and easy to replace batteries.

Translation: "We realized that it was akin to shooting yourself in the foot to stop producing our best-selling EV."

Everything comes down to politics? :rolleyes:
I'll look at your comments this way: I can depend on you to bring politics to every thread. 📣🤣
The love I feel for you is never ending. You have the best comments and are sure cute

I was really happy to read this news a few days ago. The 2018 Bolt was the best car I've ever owned. A 2025 Bolt with improved charging rate would be at the top of my list of options.

⤜(ⱺ ʖ̯ⱺ)⤏

Hybrids are a good option for a lot of people. The big problem with them is the added complexity of the hybrid powertrain and the fact that you're still stuck with all of the maintenance that you have to take care of with an ICE powered car. With a pure BEV, there's almost nothing left to maintain. Forget about air filters, spark plugs, head gaskets, oil and oil filters, timing belts, distributors, etc.

Hybrids are a good option for a lot of people. The big problem with them is the added complexity of the hybrid powertrain and the fact that you're still stuck with all of the maintenance that you have to take care of with an ICE powered car. With a pure BEV, there's almost nothing left to maintain. Forget about air filters, spark plugs, head gaskets, oil and oil filters, timing belts, distributors, etc.
One the best PHEVs on the market imo is the X5 PHEV long term YT review guy might be Biased a bit but it's the only review I found long term use. @ 15:43 for conclusion.
I wonder if a more expensive plug in hybrid gets similar efficiency to a v4 twin turbo q7 which one is more green? I am getting 560 miles on a 22 gallon full tank with my v4 petrol 2022 q7.

A "hybrid" EV with gas generator doesn't have the complex powertrain. It always runs on electricity from the batteries. The Gas engine only recharges the batteries for extended range.

A "hybrid" EV with gas generator doesn't have the complex powertrain. It always runs on electricity from the batteries. The Gas engine only recharges the batteries for extended range.
Not true. Even these "hybrid EVs" Still have a transmission., the engine is sued for propulsion at highway speeds (the volt). The vehicle you are describing would be a "direct hybrid" and IIRC there is no car on the market that has such a powertrain.

The vehicle you are describing would be a "direct hybrid" and IIRC there is no car on the market that has such a powertrain.
Off the top of my head, Nissan's e-Power range is such a car -- the wheels are permanently driven by an electric motor, while the ICE simply charges the batteries or provides the current directly for the motor.

You still have many more moving parts and the same maintenance issues.

One the best PHEVs on the market imo is the X5 PHEV long term YT review guy might be Biased a bit but it's the only review I found long term use. @ 15:43 for conclusion.
I wonder if a more expensive plug in hybrid gets similar efficiency to a v4 twin turbo q7 which one is more green? I am getting 560 miles on a 22 gallon full tank with my v4 petrol 2022 q7.
His take is that if you want a vehicle to "do everything" then a PHEV is a better choice. That depends what "everything" means for you. If you live in a cold climate and drive 300+ miles per day on a regular basis, then it's definitely too early for a BEV for your use case. For me personally, I haven't driven more than 200 miles in one day in about two decades, and if I ever get that road trip itch again I'm going to rent a Porsche Cayman or Boxster for the experience. YMMV.

As for which is "more green," I'm not sure. Your 25 MGP average is pretty bad, unless you consider the type of vehicle it is and then it sounds better. If you're like a typical driver and you drive fewer than 50 miles per day, then a PHEV and a BEV are both going to give you a similar experience until it comes time for service.

Back