Going to do my build Finally! Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xquizyt

I just want to run what I have decided on by everyone for their opinions.

I will not be doing any gaming... Maybe one day.

I will be going to school totally online.
Watching movies
Doing a lot of photo adjustments and working on websites.

Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822148140

Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817104954

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820227123

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131142

Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115016

Video Card (I already have this but I will buy a different one if needed)
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130062

Lastly i would like to run a two monitor set up. Would be especially helpful once I start school. Especially when I begin the MBA program totally online.

All comments are wanted and welcome.

I think your set up is fine, where's your ram, though, also are you overclocking or planning to, if not then everything is fine.

Hmm...

I don't think there's anything there that I can say is NOT good, except for the amount of RAM. 1gig these days is minimum, and with Vista, 2gb is quickly becoming the norm.

Alternatively, the 680 series motherboard might give you better options in the future, but at this moment, with what you mentioned as your computer usage, what you've got there should be more than enough.

Do you think that the heatsink and fan that comes with the processor is good enough? Or should I buy a different one?

It is, unless you're looking at doing some serious overclocking.

And it is also quite quiet, so there is no real need for replacing any heatsinks, unless you demand total silence while writing up your MBA thesis.

In which case, it might be cheaper to buy earplugs.

:D:D:D

Every thing is fine..just make the ram to 2GB..coz now adayz 2 GB is normal.
as CHM said.
the video card is also fine..coz u dont plan for gaming.

If this is your first build, you will find it a challenge... as there are several areas that require some builder knowledge. This will be a good build, but not an easy one.
Motherboard? Consider getting the 680i SLI as a better board for the money.
If you keep your choice, be sure to upgrade the BIOS as soon as possible.
Memory? OCZ has been so variable lately. Suggest you take a look at the choices at www.directron.com and www.zipzoomfly.com. Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, or anything but OCZ
Add a floppy drive. Cheap. Someday you will need it for special tasks.
Seagate 320? Better performance with the Seagate 250 or the Seagate 400 for around the same money.
Video Graphics Card space is limited.
You didn't list cables. You will probably need to buy your SATA cables, etc.
Have fun. Please let us know how it all turned out.

I don't see the need for the 680i. You'll have to say why its better value for money.

Whats wrong with OCZ?

Also, most motherboards come with all the cables needed.

It seems like its common practice around here not to give reasons for suggestions. I reckon its important to be specific about why you'd replace something, or upgrade something, as the other person would probably have done their homework.

And try not to diss brands without a reason, and possibly proof. You do get fanbois around, and saying XXX is a crap brand might end up with a huge argument. (But some high-end OCZ RAM has been shown not to be as good as other brands when it comes to overclocking, which is probably totally irrelevant to you. Just FYI, I personally went for the GEIL over the same memory you chose now, and my other 3rd choice was the Corsair PC6400cl4)

Performance difference between HDD sizes are very negligible in real world standards. Unless you notice a few seconds faster Windows boot time. But the bigger space might prove beneficial.

This and That......

The OEM Seagate HDD won't come with cables. So make sure you buy a retail motherboard.

All of the Seagate SATAs support NCQ (native command queuing, (even the 80GB)), which may become important to you later. So, for the purposes of this discussion, size doesn't matter, err, too much.

Seems pretty hard for me to get my hands on OEM motherboards, so I totally forgot there are such things :D

Yeah, I seriously recommend getting retail motherboards. You don't have to worry ever about not having enough cables. Well... you will but its not going to be soon. My motherboard came with only 4 SATA cables, but 8 SATA ports. But you get the picture.

Get retail casing as well, since that will come with all the screws and crap. Assuming they come OEM as well.

Everything else, I reckon OEM should suffice. Especially CD/DVD-ROM/RW. Invest in a retail version of Nero, and you'll never have to pay for all that packaging and cables and software that always come with the drive, that most people don't end up using.

I don't know why, but I ended up with a retail version of RAM. Which was Hilarious, since before this, I've got no idea what they might bundle with RAM. (ended up to be a couple of stickers and instructions. And a fancy box).

Well, Not Really That Silly......

CMH said:
Seems pretty hard for me to get my hands on OEM motherboards, so I totally forgot there are such things :D

I don't know why, but I ended up with a retail version of RAM. Which was Hilarious, since before this, I've got no idea what they might bundle with RAM. (ended up to be a couple of stickers and instructions. And a fancy box).

My Intel DG965WHMK board is readily available from Newegg as an OEM item.
Here's the catch, the OEM version doesn't have PS2 ports. I luvs my PS2 ports, gotsta haves my PS2 ports. Sure, call me old fashioned or even provincial if you must.

The retail packaging of RAM is after all, the anti-static protection as well. I'm thinking I'd much rather spend a couple of bucks to have the factory put in the box, rather than trust it to the gentle people in someones warehouse. Ya gotta admit it is expensive & quite fragile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back