Good "ghosting" program for HDD copying ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnugen

My oldest daughters HDD is dying.....an old 6.4g. I will be getting a new 40g drive soon..........I would really like to avoid having to reinstall windows XP again. Last time the M$ guy was a **** to me when I told him I needed the new activation code as I'd installed it "too many times" according to windows itself. I had done a complete HDD copy a few years back on an old system of mine and I believe it was Norton's ghost I had used, but so long ago I don't recall for certain. Seeing how all her settings and everything she likes is there and set......I am trying to avoid having to redo it all basically. Can someone suggest a good ghosting program to entirely copy this drive (4g worth of data) onto the new drive and essentially make it the C drive?? Myself, I can only think of nortons program. We both thank you for any help.

Hard drive manufacturers also supply HD migration tools for free.

You can also use the good ol' dd command or g4u to clone the drive, but you'd have to make new partitions to make use of the extra disk space.

Nodsu............I have never heard of either of those. Could you elaborate a little. The idea of partitioning the drive into 2 drives for OS and one for games and files had entered my head..........but hadn't decided. I figured if I HAD to reinstall XP then partitioning at the formatting option screen might be the place. Is there a readme or site that explains these 2 and their uses. thanks

g4u website has plenty of instructions, including how to copy one hard drive to another. Once you have the new hard drive running, you just create new partitions in the remaining free space using Windows Disk Manager interface.

Here's an idea. I have a 20g HDD as my C drive on my system, if I was to ghost my C to my D drive.......I am guessing I have to set the jumper to MA and redo ALL my shortcuts to reflect the now lack of the D drive or is XP smart enough to realize the change ??

When you use something like Ghost you would be making an image of the partition or partitions on the C: drive. You would then restore or copy that image to the new drive. This new drive would become the C: drive so as far as the OS is concerned, nothing has changed. I hope I made sense with the explaination.

Yes.......as I expected. I would then have to change any shortcuts to reflcet from D:\ xxx to c:\ xxx or is there more to it after that ?? I have MANY games and such on my D drive that I am not willing to lose.........if it is as simple as changing just the drive location in my shortcuts without losing GFX setups, controllers and so on.......then it sounds plausible. I am just wondering what happens if my D drive suddenly has a change of drive letter...........does it impact every installation on that particular drive letter to the point of not functioning or appearing as installed anymore??

Hang on ............ I may have misread that. Are you saying in essence that I will be ADDING the entire "C drive" to my D drive thus partitioning the d drive?? If so, am I required to physically change the jumper from SL to MA on my drive if removing the original C drive physically from the PC ?? forgive my ignorance, I just want to be entirely sure before messing up my system.

Uhm.. Needs a bit of clarification.

You have two physical hard drives with a single partition on both of them and now you want to move the contents of the C hard drive to the D hard drive?

If that's the case, then you have two options really.

1) Use some advanced partitioning tool like Partition Magic to make room for C in the beginning of the D drive. Clone C to the free space created and remove the original C drive. You will have to fix the bootsector of D. Now you have one physical hard drive with two partitions: C and D.

2) Copy all data from D somewhere else (A - just copy files, B - clone it). Clone the whole contents of C onto D, overwriting whetever was there. Depending on the cloning tools used you may have to fix the bootsector on D. Now either A - copy the contents of D in C (you will have to fix a whole slew of shortcuts etc) B - clone D back to the end of the hard drive. You end up with either A - one physical hard drive with one partition on it or B - one physical hard drive with two partitions on it.

fnugen said:
My oldest daughters HDD is dying.....an old 6.4g. I will be getting a new 40g drive soon..........I would really like to avoid having to reinstall windows XP again. Last time the M$ guy was a **** to me when I told him I needed the new activation code as I'd installed it "too many times" according to windows itself. I had done a complete HDD copy a few years back on an old system of mine and I believe it was Norton's ghost I had used, but so long ago I don't recall for certain. Seeing how all her settings and everything she likes is there and set......I am trying to avoid having to redo it all basically. Can someone suggest a good ghosting program to entirely copy this drive (4g worth of data) onto the new drive and essentially make it the C drive?? Myself, I can only think of nortons program. We both thank you for any help.

1. What I do is create a dos boot disc with CD access feature (bootdisk.com)
2. Using Nero I select CD-Boot Disc
3. Insert 3 1/2 FD into FDD (dos boot disc)
4. Insert a blank CD-R (mini 210MB or full size 700MB)
5. Get Norton Ghost that runs in DOS, I use 2003 version or Corp 7.5
6. Burn the CD-R
7. Take out your 40GB and change the jumper to slave (usually remove pin)
8. Shutdown PC, unplug it, remove the case cover
9. Remove Slave drive and add your new 40GB in it's place

Last step, start pc quickly insert CD-R (bootdisc)
Press CD-Boot
type: ghost
select from disk to disk
source is your old 6GB disk
des: is your new 40GB disk
after that a couple of okay's
and it shouldn't take the long to ghost to the new drive.

Once this is done, just click continue
Turn off PC and unplug
Remove 40GB slave drive
reconnect the cable back for the old Slave
remove the old 6GB drive
Insert pin for making your 40GB the Master
Install the drive
Close the case
Power on
Everything should be set...

make it hard on yourself
you can't just move app and programs to another drive (letter)
the links will be messed up and so will the reg settings
the very very easy way
go to seagate download disc wizard
add the drive as slave and follow the copy as new drive
in the case of a 40 gb drive I would partition first same seagate tool
then when you reboot and go back to seagate tool load the c or copy c to
d or what ever was created (make sure when you did partiton you made d bootable)
on completion do not reboot shut down and swap drives out
make sure you set jumpers accordingly
sould boot to new c drive without a hiccup

I suggest a free disk copy software - EASEUS Disk Copy 1.0

High-speed sector by sector disk copy software for hard disk. Disk Copy utility offers a very fast and easy way to copy all or part of a hard drive to another hard drive.

Disk Copy is a Free software, which can create an exact (Mirror Image, Disk to Disk) copy of your old disk, including the operating system, applications, personal preferences, custom settings, and all of your vital data. Disk Copy can be used for backup, cloning, or Upgrading your original small hard drive to a new larger drive. It can backup Anything from old hard drive including deleted, lost files and inaccessible data. Essential Utility for Disaster Recovery.

see more: http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/index.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back