TechSpot

Good Indie Bands?

By Akio
Sep 18, 2004
Post New Reply
  1. Hey, I'm not sure if there's a post on this already... But I couldn't find any! I was wondering if anyone knows of some good Indie bands? Hahaha, my music's kind of getting boring. All I can really think of is The Strokes, Modest Mouse and The Vines! I think Modest Mouse and The Vines are Indie. Hahaha, anyway can anyone help? :confused:

2. ratrice

ratrice TS Rookie

Indie Bands

Belle and Sebastian, The Shins, The Postal Service, Elliott Smith, Neutral Milk Hotel, Iron and Wine.....

Check out sub-pop records, they have some good bands.

3. Mikael

Mikael TS Rookie Posts: 277

Here are some of the bands that I can remember off the top of my head. I'll ask a few of my friends and see who their favorite indy bands are as well.

Interpol
    Gravity Pulls
    USHC Brand Men's Jeans
    AFK

Cheers!

4. sera20

sera20 TS Rookie

There is a Canadian indie group called The Organ. I have a site with links to their music, videos and pic. They sound alot like Morrissey come check them out.
    http://p097.ezboard.com/bsinkinghearts

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Rise Against - Give It All (its a song)

It is a yelling type rock song, and the bass drum is very heavy in it, if you have a good sub, it will rock your walls as well as any rap song. I have a few other rise against albums, but the aren't of the same caliber as that song.

6. sera20

sera20 TS Rookie

7. jimbo23888

jimbo23888 TS Rookie

good well known indie bands

listen to the obvious but best:
    gotta b arctic monkeys
    the kooks are fukin awesome
    we are scientists
    maximo park
    subways
    milburn

8. lithiumdeuterid

lithiumdeuterid TS Rookie Posts: 88

I'm assuming "indie" means "indepedent". I am curious as to what indie bands are declaring independence from.

Are they declaring:
    Independence from on-pitch singing?
    Independence from interesting chord progressions?
    Independence from technical skill in playing and in composing?
    Independence from lyrics about anything besides angst and depression?
    Independence from hi-fidelity mixing/mastering jobs?
    All of the above?

Only the indie bands know for sure. I'll take the processed sounds of Dream Theater over Neutral Milk Hotel's quavering, self-pitying tirade any day.