Google bans Chrome extensions that don't originate from the Web Store

By Shawn Knight
May 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. In an effort to cut down on the number of Chrome malware installations, Google is now only allowing browser extensions to be installed directly from the Chrome Web Store. It's a move the company says will help keep its users...

Read more
  2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I feel like Google should give people the option to enable this for better security, but leave the option open for the more experienced users.
    turismozilla likes this.
  3. I feel this is just the first step to silently ban all ad-blockers soon
    which will make me go to firefox immediatly
    spectrenad likes this.
  4. Huh? Why are you not using firefox already when it is obvious chrome was only created with the sole purpose of spying on its users browsing habits with a view to making money from it.
  5. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Addict Posts: 289   +55

I still use firefox as the lack of RSS feed support on chrome lessens it's usefulness for me
  6. Hm. Looks like Google also supports a walled garden in some of their products.
  7. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

One thing about Chrome is that the adobe flash player updates are not current with ie and firefox, so they are still the hijacked ones.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,936

I dunno so much, I've noticed every time Adobe update their flash player an updated Google browser quickly follows.
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,936

I've found the exact opposite, I can't find a decent RSS feed support for Firefox (well one that I like). RSS Feed Reader is perfect for me and it comes from the Chrome Store.
  10. turismozilla

turismozilla TS Enthusiast Posts: 53   +10

Chromium devs bending over to this too and playing nice with Google's wishes?