TechSpot

Google details simple method to opt out of Wi-Fi location database

By Shawn Knight
Nov 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google is now offering a simple way for owners of Wi-Fi networks to opt out of the company’s location database. The search giant was at the center of a privacy…

Read the whole story

2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 563   +172

What happens for a big company that has a wireless network? They can't exactly just change the essid. It would lock every laptop out of their network. Also, they would need to reset basically all firewalls etc. Does this collection affect hidden networks?

3. I suppose those big networks could splurge for a tomato router and spoof their networks MAC, then broadcast _nomap from the spoofed router.
    Clients would still connect, Google will drop the mac from their database.

4. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,179   +72

Microsoft will next offer _dontmap, and you'll have to choose whether you'll prefer to not be saved by Microsoft or Google. :)

5. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TS Booster Posts: 142   +47

And Apple will sue the hell out of them both, because of the use of "ap", as a judge will surely notice, is an integral part of their trademarks...

6. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 813   +93

I'm not changing all my wireless IDs just because google said so, or else. I see clasd action lawsuit on the horizon for making private location data public.

7. Change Google to Google_Don'tUse

8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +621

Now THAT's Funny! :LOL: :D

9. supportme

supportme TS Rookie Posts: 31

WTH... why do they the android devices have to detect MACs of other devices nearby and send it to google...?? They can map the locations using the locations of only the android devices.

Are they doing it just because they are powerful and there is no one to question them or is it just another "Innovation" that they talk about?