TechSpot

Google Drive released, offers 5GB free, 25GB for $2.49/mo

By Rick
Apr 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Following piles of mounting rumors, an official cloud-based storage option by Google is finally here. In February, a Google employee had mentioned that the company would be releasing a cloud-based storage service in...

Read the whole story

2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 880   +230

$100 a month for 2TB when a 2TB drive cost $90?

I have no grounds to speak on as we are just getting into virtual machines and cloud computing here at the hospital but those prices seem a little high to me. Maybe not?

3. Best cloud storage provider for me is still Wuala. Their client automatically encrypts everything before uploading to their server. It is safe and works just fine and you also get 5GB of free storage.

4. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

Released.. but not yet available? What am I missing here...

5. Amazon S3 is by far the best cloud computing available anywhere!

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

I'm not sure I understand -- I'm currently using it myself.

Although I do believe the mark up must be pretty high, I do have to say that's kind of an unfair comparison. 2TB of remotely hosted storage that ties into your Google services and 2TB on a USB drive are two very different things.

I would have to say that anyone willing to pay $100/mo for 2TB of online storage is definitely doing it for the service though, not for the storage space itself.

7. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,565   +333

If you go to the Google Drive site (or Google Docs) you will be offered an account with 5GB free, worked for me right now.

8. deanwthomas

deanwthomas TS Rookie

It must not be available for everyone. The site tells me (your Google Drive is not available yet).

9. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Interesting. Are you in a different country? Maybe it hasn't rolled out to all accounts yet, if that's even possibly an issue.

10. I live in Finland and it's not available for me either yet.

11. Trillionsin

"We'll email you at (trillionsin's email)a
    when your Google Drive is ready. Learn more

12. Trillionsin

I live in the USA...

13. rvnwlfdroid

rvnwlfdroid TS Rookie Posts: 82   +6

I'm getting the same message on three different accounts. I also live in the USA.
    It must be some kind of a roll out plan. :(

14. OUTLAWXXX

OUTLAWXXX TS Rookie Posts: 51

Your Google Drive is not ready yet... :(

I live in the USA also, have been using Google docs and everything. Sounds like they have a secret formula on who they roll it out to first >_<

15. Terms of service are onerous - if you upload anything GOOGLE OWNS IT!

CNET link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57420551-93/who-owns-your-files-on-google-drive/

Google Drive terms, as reported by CNET:
    "Your Content in our Services: When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide licence to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

16. Quoted for Scary Truth

Your Content in our Services: When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.