TechSpot

Google Fiber expansion may be coming to Austin, Texas

By Shawn Knight
Apr 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Austin, Texas, could be the next stop for Google’s coveted gigabit network. The search giant and the city of Austin have invited members of the press as well as business leaders to a joint event tomorrow. Naturally, both Google and...

Read more

2. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TS Booster Posts: 282   +40

Not heard any reviews of Google's services, but I damned wish they'd come to London.

3. lalaman

lalaman TS Rookie Posts: 26

Aww, I thought they would head up north instead of south with google fibre =[

4. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 305   +37

Washington, DC and surrounding areas need this service!

5. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 970   +118

At least they've found it worthwhile to expand. More than Verizon or Comcast is doing, they just tell us we don't need it then put a cap on how much we can use.

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,035   +914

I would rather pay for 50MB/s upload and 100MB/s download. I am never gonna need any speeds greater than the ones I stated. I am on a 5 up and 15 down now and I survive. Games download quick and I can go on with my day. Until this becomes standard, there is no need.

7. @ JC713

How much are they paying you to post this type of bs? Sounds like a great and easy job to try and detour net innovation, better quality service, and remove the monopoly businesses like Comcast have on most of their service areas (and are allowed to provide horrid customer service).

8. MannerMauler

MannerMauler TS Member Posts: 24

Google Fiber?

9. MannerMauler

and the white house praby get hacked

10. MannerMauler

true, quite true.

11. Why not put this fiber service in an already established network/server hub city such as Dallas? This would actually do more good for consumers and businesses in and outside of Texas. This is nothing more than google rewarding Austin for being a liberal city, as google itself as a company is filled with backwards thinking liberals.

12. unloco101

unloco101 TS Rookie

LOL. Keep Austin weird baby! I'm sure Google is reading that one guy from Dallas' comment and reconsidering something we don't even know for sure is going to happen. Entitlement to fictional items... Are you sure you are not from California?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.