Google Fiber launches super-fast 20Gbps internet service for $250 per month

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? Almost exactly a month after showcasing its residential 20Gbps broadband service and announcing plans to launch it in select cities by the end of the year, Google Fiber is now letting some people sign up for early access to its super-fast network. The company had earlier announced that the GFiber Labs program, which is piloting the 20Gbps service, saw thousands of people express their interest.

Google says that it is starting sign-ups for its 20Gbps service in select areas of Kansas City, North Carolina's Triangle Region, Arizona, and Iowa. The company added that it plans to open up invitations at new locations in the near future, but did not specify the cities and towns where the service will be available.

The monthly subscription for the 20Gbps plan will cost $250, and installations are expected to start in Q1, 2024. Google will also offer state-of-the-art Wi-Fi 7 routers to go with the super-fast internet, and is working with Actiontec to create custom routers for its customers.

Google had earlier announced that its 20Gbps service will use Nokia's new 25G PON (passive optical networks) technology, which is said to require a special Optical Network Terminal (ONT) from the Finnish telecom vendor. While the ONT is much larger than the fiber jack currently used with Google Fiber connections, the company expects it to get smaller over time.

Interestingly, Google says that it doesn't have to upgrade its existing fiber optic network to be able to offer the 20Gbps service, as the new Nokia hardware will be able to deliver the higher speeds even with the lines that are already in the ground.

In addition to the 20-gig service, Google Fiber also offers its original 1Gbps plan at $70 per month, 2Gbps at $100, 5Gbps at $125, and 8Gbps at $150 per month. However, availability remains a major problem, with the service still only available in a handful of cities around the US. Potential subscribers would prefer to see Google roll out its multi-gig services at more locations rather than launching new plans that have little to no chance of reaching the majority of the American population.

Permalink to story.

As if Google doesn't have enough metadata on us already.... now they'll be able to see exactly what content is flowing thru their fiber network...

Last I checked my 4k streams were taking only 40 mbps I.e. 0.04 GBPS. So to fully utilize it I will have to run 500 4k streams simultaneously.

I just want to know, outside of very specific user cases, who needs a 20GBPS internet connection for personal use right now?

Just for the note. What do people use for that kind of speeds?
At this point its genuinely at a level where I woild expect a smaller datacentre to have that as their internet comnection, so who knows, I can get 10 gig for homelab or multiple gigabit devices etc., especially as the trch is usually there for 10gig (xgpon etc.), but 20 makes no sense, especially at that price, and with Google of all companies....

Last I checked my 4k streams were taking only 40 mbps I.e. 0.04 GBPS. So to fully utilize it I will have to run 500 4k streams simultaneously.

I just want to know, outside of very specific user cases, who needs a 20GBPS internet connection for personal use right now?

What is funny is when ISP sell stuff like this for good money - then some private citizen runs a private server out of their home for some passion - and then the ISP whines but you are using it - you can't do that .

Airlines hope not everyone buys max dimensions carry on luggage - ISPs hope customers don't use a fraction what they pay for - if some family comes on plane with with 5 max size bags and comes down to my families overheads to use them - they can **** off - In Russia on long distance trains , China etc anyone filling my area with their commercial crap - didn't get far - put it in the corridor ( pretty safe as a tourist )

I love fast internet, but please make a compelling case for why someone needs 20Gb/s for home use. For business use sure, but upload speed is also just as important.

Price is pretty good though, in Australia this would cost $10K per month even if possible.

Back