TechSpot

Google improves Flash sandbox, Chrome safer than ever

By Rick
Nov 14, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google silently rolled out an update to Chrome which featured an unusual change, apparently one worthy of an announcement on the Chrome Blog: improved Adobe Flash plug-in sandboxing. The company claims its new method of fortifying Flash makes Adobe's plug-in...

Read more
  2. bugejakurt

bugejakurt TS Booster Posts: 133

Is this security improvement implemented in the latest stable release: "23.0.1271.64" ?
    TJGeezer likes this.
  3. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Good question, but doesn't Chrome automatically update its plugins as updates come available? That would include the Flash sandbox, I'd think. Maybe someone knows for sure.
  4. bugejakurt

bugejakurt TS Booster Posts: 133

Yes, but I think the plugin updates although they happen silently in the background , they are updated with a release package, I.e. the Google Chrome version is incremented to show an update. I also think that updates, even updates to plugins are noted in the Google Chrome releases blog at http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/

Can 'Rick' give us some additional details please?

Thanks in advance.
  5. RandomGKL

RandomGKL TS Rookie

This update broke flash sound, had to disable the built in flash and install another version of flash manually to get it working again (2 hours work including research to find out the problem).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.