Google is cutting back on employee laptops, perks, and even staplers & tape in money-saving...

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! With a market cap of $1.32 trillion, Google parent Alphabet is the fourth most valuable company in the world, so it might come as a surprise to learn that, as part of money-saving measures, Google is cutting back on employee fitness classes, staplers, tape, café opening times, and even the frequency that it replaces workers' laptops.

Google's finance chief Ruth Porat announced the cutbacks to employee services in a companywide email, reports The Wall Street Journal. Porat wrote that the cuts were part of big, multi-year efforts aimed at making savings.

Alphabet's revenue in the most recent financial year amounted to $282.8 billion, up from $257.6 billion the previous year, but that doesn't mean all of its employees will keep enjoying the company's snack bars, or "microkitchens," some of which are being eliminated. The firm is also closing cafeterias on less-busy days.

The WSJ writes that to save more money, Google will introduce an internal tool that helps teams pick low-cost providers of outside services such as software and equipment providers.

In separate documents seen by CNBC, Google said employee fitness classes were also being cut back. The time between employee laptop replacements is being extended, as is the refresh rate for desktop PCs and monitors. Even basic office supplies such as staples and tape are being restricted to save costs.

"We have been asked to pull all tape/dispensers throughout the building," a San Francisco facility directive stated. "If you need a stapler or tape, the receptionist desk has them to borrow."

Google employees who don't work in engineering roles and require a new laptop will receive a Chromebook by default; they used to have the option of high-end MacBooks. Google claims this also helps prevent external compromises.

Porat wrote that Google's aim this year is to "deliver durable savings through improved velocity and efficiency."

The document claimed that cuts to the food, fitness, massage, and transportation programs were the result of more people coming in 3 days per week rather than 5.

"We've baked too many muffins on a Monday, seen GBuses run with just one passenger, and offered yoga classes on a Friday afternoon when folks are more likely to be working from home," it stated.

Back in January, Alphabet became one of the many tech giants to announce 12,000 people were being laid off, the result of overhiring during the pandemic and the current shaky global economy. It led to Swiss Google workers walking out and offering to reduce their wages to prevent cuts, which Google refused.

This isn't the first time Google has implemented extreme money-saving measures. In February, it asked some of its employees to share desks with co-workers.

Permalink to story.

Losing top employees over a 2% savings (of their salary cost) is stupid, not “successful capitalism”.
If people are leaving over staplers and tape, I'd wonder why they were there in the first place. When was the last time you stapled anything together for work? Me, probably 2 decades ago. As for the other "perks", well if you work from home, maybe the company doesn't need to provide all those food perks or gyms. You can't have it both ways.

They’re reducing their “carbon footprint” by reducing their bus and class schedules.

Revenue is worthless without any other numbers to go along with it. Spotify has had huge growth and revenue increases, but they’re not profitable.

Google is half of the problem here. The other half is a government that hasn't enacted laws to protect the people from practices like this. If businesses weren't allowed to just do whatever the hell that they want, this wouldn't be a thing. A corporation's motto can be "Don't be evil" all day but if they're not forced by law to "not be evil", they will inevitably turn that way.

In Denmark, McDonald's employees are paid over $20USD/hour and they get 6 weeks of paid vacation. Somehow, McDonald's has managed still to rake in huge profits there, despite the McDonalds corporation crying "poor".

They went from burning money to cutting back on staples and tape?

What's the next headline?
Google employees gotta bring their own toilet paper at work?
Gotta somehow avoid touching those yearly bonuses for CEOs...
Google just continues to show why it's strictly 2nd rate in the business world ....
All this shows is why Neo-Liberal Capitalism is a non-sustainable system. What we're seeing is just the tip of the iceberg because it WILL get worse. At some point, the employees will either unionise or leave because this cannot continue indefinitely.

As for Google itself, I now use Ecosia to search for things before Google. They use Bing (which sucks) but all of their profits go to planting trees to remove CO2 from the air, increase wildlife habitats and combat soil erosion. If I can help by just searching for things with it, why not? If I can't find what I'm looking for because Bing sucks, then I just use Google. Better to support a good cause than some evil corporation.

Google is half of the problem here. The other half is a government that hasn't enacted laws to protect the people from practices like this. If businesses weren't allowed to just do whatever the hell that they want, this wouldn't be a thing. A corporation's motto can be "Don't be evil" all day but if they're not forced by law to "not be evil", they will inevitably turn that way.

In Denmark, McDonald's employees are paid over $20USD/hour and they get 6 weeks of paid vacation. Somehow, McDonald's has managed still to rake in huge profits there, despite the McDonalds corporation crying "poor".
Sorry but no, the government should not have any say in whether Google or any other company wants to cut costs. If the government regulates how I run my business, will they also ensure that I make a profit, no matter what? No, they won't, and therefore they need to stay away from how I run my business, as long as I'm not doing anything illegal. How I manage my business is my concern, not the government. Google's stock price is down about 30% since Nov, 2021, I'd say they might want to think about managing their costs.

Well google is known for dropping support for their products and services...guess that also applies to their workplaces and employees too.

work at a billion dollar company and have to borrow tape...what kinda twisted f***ed up environment we have built around ourselves?

All this shows is why Neo-Liberal Capitalism is a non-sustainable system. What we're seeing is just the tip of the iceberg because it WILL get worse. At some point, the employees will either unionise or leave because this cannot continue indefinitely.

As for Google itself, I now use Ecosia to search for things before Google. They use Bing (which sucks) but all of their profits go to planting trees to remove CO2 from the air, increase wildlife habitats and combat soil erosion. If I can help by just searching for things with it, why not? If I can't find what I'm looking for because Bing sucks, then I just use Google. Better to support a good cause than some evil corporation.
Do yourself a favor and research Google's sustainability efforts. I think you might find they do quite well in that regard.

https://sustainability.google/commitments/

Well google is known for dropping support for their products and services...guess that also applies to their workplaces and employees too.

work at a billion dollar company and have to borrow tape...what kinda twisted f***ed up environment we have built around ourselves?
It's called "Neo-Liberal" Capitalism and it's far more toxic than the Keynesian Economics that we practiced in the 20th-Century.

Anyone remember 'learn to code'. Hopefully Google has another mass layoff. The majority of those employees along with their employer were cheering as thousands of US mining, oil & gas workers were being laid off.

Cuts to food, fitness, massage, and transportation programs -- which implies all those programs still exist, just re-balanced for a world where many employees are at home -- are hardly "extreme money-saving measures." Just like asking an employee who may barely show up one day a week to not demand a fulltime dedicated office is not unreasonable either.

I don't know what the old and new laptop refresh periods are, but as we've discussed in many threads here the rate of hardware progression has slowed enough so that say a two year old laptop is hardly obsolete for many use cases as well.

There was a period a while back when I felt like Google was on the one hand offering extravagant benefits while on the other not necessarily paying top-tier salaries for every position. I thought that was clever if maybe self-serving corporate positioning - they were bringing in a lot of fresh grads in part by promoting benefits that existed to help keep them at the office 16 hours a day, and somehow getting good employer karma credit for doing so. Readjusting their strategy for current times may not be dumb either.

Reminds me of the Dilbert TV show, when he went to NirvanaCo for one episode. (paraphrased)
"Where do I get the requisition to request the form to request pens?"
"Requisition? If you need pens you just get pens." (they show Dilbert a supply room with thousands of pens, pads of paper, etc. and he freaks out and grabs about 50 pens.) I guess that time has ended at Google.
To be honest, I don't know how much I'd be using staples or tape, given the electronic nature of the work I would be doing if I worked there. But going from a high-end MacBook (not that I'm an Apple fan...) to a Chromebook? Ugh, that'd be rough.

Anyone remember 'learn to code'. Hopefully Google has another mass layoff. The majority of those employees along with their employer were cheering as thousands of US mining, oil & gas workers were being laid off.
Maybe they should "learn to mine"? They already have data mining experience, so they're half way there.

Back