Google is testing a feature that holds customer service calls for you until a human representative...

Daniel Sims

Staff
Forward-looking: Most people dread calling customer service numbers because it usually means navigating a menu of automated options and then waiting on hold while listening to elevator music, sometimes for over an hour, before speaking to a live person. Google is testing a feature that allows technology to take your place for the initial steps of a call.

Users enrolled in Google's Search Labs can now try an experimental function that automatically calls a customer service number and notifies them when a human representative is on the line. Google unimaginatively calls the feature "Talk to a Live Representative." It supposedly enables users to skip the lengthy wait times associated with support calls.

When users google a customer service number, an option labeled "Request a call" appears below the result. Once the user inputs their call's purpose and phone number, Google automatically calls the company on their behalf, directs the call past the automated responses toward a human customer service representative, and calls the user back when an assistant is available.

Customers using the system can continue their other business without staying in the queue for an hour or more. Google also notifies users of the call's progress through SMS messages and provides an estimated window of when it will call back.

Talk to a Representative is available through Google's mobile apps and the desktop version of Chrome. The trial runs until the end of this year, and there is no guarantee that it will see a public release. According to 9to5Google, it supports only a handful of businesses in the US at the moment:

• Airlines: Alaska Airlines, Delta Airlines, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, United Airlines
  • Telecommunications: Assurance Wireless, Boost Mobile, Charter Communications, Cricket Wireless, Samsung, Sprint (likely T-Mobile)
  • Retail: Best Buy, Costco, GameStop, Home Depot, Walmart,
  • Package Services: ADT, DHL, FedEx, Grubhub, Instacart, Securus Technologies, StubHub, UPS, Zelle
  • Insurance: Esurance, State Farm

The feature fundamentally resembles Hold for Me, which has long allowed Google Pixel owners to simplify the wait for customer service. When calling a business, Google Assistant can display estimated wait periods for various times of day and automatically hold a call until connected with a representative. However, Talk to a Representative can potentially reach far more users because it supports all phones and doesn't require starting a call until a human customer service assistant is on the line.

Permalink to story.

Not impressed… this will only enable big companies to provide even lousier custumer service. As always profits above everything else.

To be honest it's been a while since I dialed customer service via the phone. where I live it's just faster to drive to one of the office and have someone attend to your requests. or message the official whatsapp number and type in the requests.

more and more businesses are using whatsapp as a business communication tool (at least where I live) and I have nothing to complain. gone are the days where I have to spell my name and email address letter by letter over the phone.

you know many years ago when you see a "live-chat" box on a website you'd know it would be full of automatic messages and you'd have gotten a basic generic reply, so it's faster to dial the number instead. nowadays it's the other way round, when you call a business helpdesk it's gonna be at least 10 minutes of automated messages and waiting, and it's faster to just use the live-chat box instead.

Just think about it. This bit of software tweaking will make little difference unless the company concerned employs an adequate number of live bods to deal with the demand. The existing "automatic" systems are just a way of giving people time-wasting hurdles to jump until they lose patience and just give up .

This can't be good

It's customer service, it would tear the space-time continuum if it become good in our universe.
Also... I don't know how thing over other countries, but here in Brasil most companies support service can be reached thru official whatsapp accounts..

Back