TechSpot

Google makes unmodified Android theme compatibility requirement

By Rick
Jan 5, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. In an effort to create a consistent experience for its users, Google is requiring manufacturers who ship their devices with Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) to include Holo, its default theme…

Read the whole story

2. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Guru Posts: 516   +12

This is great news!

3. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 510   +46

anyone else look at the picture of the icecream sandwiches and think yum :D

On a on topic note it's good that you will have the option to a true vanilla theme, I would like google to go one step further and give a user an option if they want to fully disable things like touchwiz etc.

4. I wish these "themes" would include the stock programs and settings as well. Therefore you can never have to deal with the bloatware on the phone as well as have the tether options work as intended without having to deal with all the "unapproved" workarounds.

5. It's also going to increase the gap between when a new version of Android is released by Google and when OEMs update the devices they have sold, since they'd have to now test two different UIs. Sounds like "moar fragmentation" to me <shrug>.

6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

I think Sebastian summed it up nicely over at ET:

"One small step for Android, one giant leap towards iOS and WP7" ........ ;)

Then pretty much nails the reasons behind the decision:

"If you’ve bought a Galaxy Nexus, or used a custom ICS ROM, it’s impossible to ignore the similarities between Android 4.0, and iOS and Windows Phone 7. Android has consistently struggled to achieve the same levels of (perceived?) smoothness as iOS and WP7 — and now, with this mandate, Google is effectively admitting that a Wild West orgy of customization isn’t necessarily the right way forward. For the first time, Google has a competitive interface, and it wants to make damn sure that it seizes the advantage."

Another issue which is often neglected IMO is lots of crap ware which manufacturers stuffs on Android phones with no clear way of getting rid of it, e.g. I don't want to have facebook or twitter app on HTC Sensation I'm playing with these days, but there is no way of uninstalling them, all I can do is uninstall the 'updates' which is pretty stupid.