TechSpot

Google, Mattel team up to reimagine the View-Master

By Shawn Knight
Feb 13, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Readers of a certain age will no doubt remember the View-Master, the special-format viewing device that accepted cardboard reels with stereoscopic 3D images on film. They first debuted in 1939 but remained popular - especially among children - up until...

Read more

2. Tye Lucas

Tye Lucas TS Rookie Posts: 18

This is cool as hell I would buy this for my kids... =)

3. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 817   +231

This looks awesome, I loved my View-Master when I was a kid and this idea seems like a great update. If I had young kids I would definitely get this, now if they allow you to make your own reels I would get this for myself and make my own 3D views :)

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,691   +1,879

"Back to the Future IV"
    [​IMG]
    More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_Realist

A Google search using, "35 mm Stereo cameras", returns a prodigious quantity of results on the topic, concurrent with the lifespan of the original "View-Master" system. Perhaps a digital solution could be around the corner.
    It has to be said though, the photographers working for View Master, went to the four corners of the earth, to bring back most of those spectacular, "you are there", slides.

Heck, now even Kodachrome has been discontinued....:(.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  5. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 817   +231

Well damn, learn something new everyday.