Google may tap HTC to build third-generation Nexus 8 tablet

By Shawn Knight
Apr 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Prospective Android tablet owners might want to hold on to their hard earned money a bit longer as another competitor looms on the horizon. According to a recent report from DigiTimes, Google has shunned Asus in favor of HTC for...

Read more
  2. HurpityDurp111

HurpityDurp111 TS Rookie

I've never been a fan of HTC. My last phone was an HTC Inspire 4g. It was an epic pile of garbage. I genuinely hated every single aspect about that phone.

So unless HTC has improved much since the Inspire 4g, I see this as a bad move for Google. I'm all ears though. Can somebody tell me whether they believe this is a good move or bad move and why?

3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Ugh not HTC! ASUS was on a roll with the Nexus 7. Too bad they havent updated the Nexus 10 yet.
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Why HTC? Their HTC One was voted phone of the year last year at the mobile world congress and the M8 this year also has gotten better reviews than any other Android phone available. The camera app that comes on HTC phones that makes the highlight videos for you is enough to sell the phone by itself if you're someone who takes pics/videos together of events and wants to remember then in one short clip. I'm not surprised at all HTC would be picked. They're also trying their best to improve their brand (they just hired the marketing guy who branded the Galaxy line) and building a good tablet is a way to do that.

I'm bummed the Nexus line will be discontinued... then we'll be stuck with Samsung as a main tablet maker for Android.
  5. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 467   +97

I had that phone too but had a complete opposite experience with it. It felt very sturdy in my hands and the build quality seemed top notch. It had fair battery life and a good screen for its time. And although it never got upgraded past gingerbread, the ICS updates from homebrew devs always worked flawlessly to breath new life into the device. I still miss the brightness of the dual LED flash.
  6. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

It is just a rumour but I suspect there may be a kernal of truth in it. If I was Google I would wish to introduce an element of competition in order to keep costs of the new Nexus to a minimum without sacrificing quality.

I have an HTC phone and I like it. A very solid phone that has survived being dropped on too many occasions. Much better quality than the Sony Ericsson brick it replaced.