Google, Motorola may be working on a 5.9-inch smartphone code named 'Shamu'

Shawn Knight

Staff member

report nexus phone gigantic moto google motorola nexus smartphone android silver shamu

The fate of Google's Nexus program has been up in the air now for quite a while. Rumors have circulated in recent months that the program could be canned in favor of the upcoming Android Silver initiative. But during Google I/O, Dave Burke, the head of Android engineering and the Nexus program at Google, suggested we might see another Nexus phone after all.

We're now hearing that Motorola may be working on a handset under the Nexus banner.

According to a report from Android Police, Motorola is working on a device with Google under the code named Shamu. As the name suggests, we are talking about a big phone with a 5.9-inch display of unknown resolution. Sources claim the handset will also carry a fingerprint reader.

The device is expected to be targeted at major wireless carriers in the US and unspecified carriers in other parts of the world. If it is indeed part of the Nexus program then it stands to reason that the phone would be sold in the same markets that currently have access to Nexus devices.

The Shamu smartphone has a targeted launch date of November but as always, this can change based on a number of factors.

Overall, the publication gives the rumor a 6.5 out of 10 on their confidence scale. They are confident that Shamu is a real device under active development, fairly confident that it is a contender for the Nexus program and slightly less confident about its specs based on the information at their disposal.

Permalink to story.

I believe Google Nexus phones are quite popular but I don't believe a 5.9" screen is going to be everyone's cuppa tea, it's way too big.

Within the last 2 weeks, I finally upgraded my 2+ year old Note1, to a Huawei Ascend Mate2. It has a 6.1" screen, BUT, size wise, width, thickness are the same, and height is only 1/2" taller. Footprint is about the same. And the screen goes from 5.3 to 6.1", 8/10th of an inch more screen due to smaller bezels. If someone already is comfortable with a 5.5" screen, a 5.9" wouldn't be that much of a transition. Heck, if you believe the rumors, even Apple has finally started to grow their screen size a bit. Dell started all of this with the Streak5, which I had, but Samsung really took it to a whole other level.
I wouldn't go back to anything smaller than a 5.5" screen.

5.9? No thanks. If I can't operate it with one hand, no thank you. The Nexus 5 is a bit of a stretch, but works ok with my hand. But definitely nothing bigger than that. If this rumor is true, then I'll be skipping out on this Nexus.

I believe Google Nexus phones are quite popular but I don't believe a 5.9" screen is going to be everyone's cuppa tea, it's way too big.

Like you say it might not be for everyone but I certainly don't think the screen is way too big. I use the Note III and its 5.7" screen is perfect, I could happily move to 5.9". Not everyone's hand is the same size :) Plus its great to see so much choice in the Android market.

Like you say it might not be for everyone but I certainly don't think the screen is way too big. I use the Note III and its 5.7" screen is perfect, I could happily move to 5.9". Not everyone's hand is the same size :) Plus its great to see so much choice in the Android market.
Yeah it's different horses for courses but I think to gain maximum market share I think they should've met somewhere in the middle... say 4.5-5" but having said that, how would they distinguish themselves from the sea of common garden variety phones of that size.
Personally I like phones with a screen size of 4-4.5", I find them easy to pocket, use with one hand (I don't have hands the size of buckets) and the screen size is ample for me. If I wanted a bigger touchscreen I'd rather use a tablet. (I do have a Nexus 7 but I never use it).

Back