TechSpot

Google planning to spend $1B on Internet satellites, says WSJ

1. Google is planning to spend more than $1 billion on low-Earth orbit satellites to bring internet access to unwired regions of the globe, according to the Wall Street Journal. Details are scarce at this time, but it is being speculated that the...

Read more

2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 994   +89

An interesting way to gain new potential customers.

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,419   +821

It all sounds good but lets see some action now.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,419   +821

They'll make their money back tenfold, the only thing is they should've started this project sooner. The boys (& girls) at Google sleep at night when they are supposed to, not on the job.

5. The current users of today will be paying for it. I am not so sure that there will be any more real money though, because I don’t think that there is anymore spare money in the world.

However, looking at it on a grander scale, for the evolution of mankind, it is a necessary leap. Otherwise the current users of today will be paying for it in another way.

From DW.UK

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,187   +748

Huh? I don't know about you, but that check I write to Google every month to use their search engine and Gmail doesn't really break my budget.

Interesting... I thought most satellites like this were geo-synchronous, meaning they orbited at exactly the speed the earth turns so they stay directly above the area they want to cover. I believe this means they have to be at a precise height. I could be wrong though, and who knows maybe Google found away around it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.