Google reportedly working on a mid-range Nexus phone that'd sell for under $100

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google nexus

Google’s Nexus 5 already offers arguably the best bang for your buck but even still, $350 for a new smartphone is a lot of money for some. To that end, the search giant is reportedly preparing a mid-range device that would sell for under $100 – about as cheap a handset as you’re going to find that isn’t total crap.

According to a report from Chinese publication MTKSJ via Digital Trends, the budget-minded Nexus 5 will be powered by a MediaTek processor instead of something from Qualcomm. It’s a trend that we’re seeing more of lately here in the US with some even claiming the LG G3 will ship with a MediaTek SoC instead of an in-house solution.

Aside from that info, however, now much else is known about the device including which manufacturer would actually build it. As you know, Google worked with LG on the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 5 so it wouldn’t be a stretch to see the two partner up once more.

In related Nexus news, Google is also rumored to be working on an 8.9-inch Nexus tablet. The slate would feature a 2K+ resolution display to go along with the rest of the high-end hardware. Unlike the mid-range Nexus device, the tablet would come with an equally high-end price tag.

And of course, a Nexus 6 is also in the pipeline which is said to be an understated version of the LG G3.

Permalink to story.

That is probably the cost on contract. Off-contract pricing will probably be similar to that of the Moto G.

You can get the Moto G for $99 (no contract/prepaid) although it's a locked Verizon version of it with 8GB I believe.

[/quote]
That is probably the cost on contract. Off-contract pricing will probably be similar to that of the Moto G.[/quote]

I don't know about that.. The moto G up here in Canada is $0 and NO contract. Starting device balance is only $150... So if you leave the plan, you simply pay whats left owing.. Example: sign-up on a $29/month plan, get the Moto G for $0, cancel after a month, payout on the MOTO G will be $147 plus tax.

So maybe with nexus, it actually does mean less then $100 actual real cost.

A stock Android phone for <$100, heck yeah!

An unlocked nexus for less then $100? Talk about something being an instant home run hitter.
That is probably the cost on contract. Off-contract pricing will probably be similar to that of the Moto G.
I certainly hope not, I hope that's the cash price, if it is I'll make a point of looking deeper into it. It will make a nice backup/gift.

That is probably the cost on contract. Off-contract pricing will probably be similar to that of the Moto G.[/quote]

I don't know about that.. The moto G up here in Canada is $0 and NO contract. Starting device balance is only $150... So if you leave the plan, you simply pay whats left owing.. Example: sign-up on a $29/month plan, get the Moto G for $0, cancel after a month, payout on the MOTO G will be $147 plus tax.

So maybe with nexus, it actually does mean less then $100 actual real cost.[/quote]
Yeah. This has got me excited but I'll have to play the wait & see game.

I think the lower costs of these phones is probably due to big companies like Google wanting to get you on board with them in a more complete way. They'll be able to gather more accurate data about you and make more money through advertisements, etc.

Back