TechSpot

Google settles antitrust probe with European Union, will promote rival services

By Shawn Knight
Feb 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Google has reached a settlement with the European Union to end a three-year antitrust probe that could have resulted in a fine of up to $5 billion, or 10 percent of the search giant's 2012 revenue. Instead, Google will change...

Read more

2. $4 not $0.04!!

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,498   +306

I guess Bing is next?

Unless I'm missing something, the EU should be ashamed for this quick money grab.

If promoting your own services is against the law everything would be incredibly twisted.

4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,168   +243

Whoa thats pushing the bar $4 to get advertised by your competitor it should cost a hell of a lot more than that, I dont get what all the fuss is about its anti-competitive for a competitor to basically tell others about their competitors services.

Google own google.com and the other google companies so they should be allowed to say remove the competitors from their own search like they normally do. Its like microsoft being told they have to put a option for others to install linux when you use a windows installation disk.

Soon Apple will be forced to put their competitors products on their site.

5. Hopefully it will work as well as having Microsoft allow you to choose a different search engine. In India we can select a different search engine, but it will not actually use it or allow you to save your choice.

6. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

This is a joke, right?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.