Google starts testing Google Music internally

Emil

Staff

Google employees have begun testing Google Music internally. This would suggest the much anticipated service is nearly ready to launch, according to music industry sources cited by CNET.

Google Music, a streaming service that users would be able to access from Internet-connected devices, is close to being ready but is being held up by a lack of content. Google managers told counterparts at the top four record companies last year that they hoped everything would be in place for a launch by late 2010. More recently, Google tentatively planned to demonstrate the service earlier this month at the South By Southwest conference. Neither ended up happening as Google Music keeps getting pushed back, although technically it still hasn't been officially announced.

Talks with at least some of the top publishers and four largest record labels are still ongoing. The delays are largely due to the fact that Google is negotiating for cloud music rights and not just the authorization to distribute the songs themselves. The search giant wants to be able to store users' existing music libraries on the company's servers. Labels are in similar discussions with Apple.

Labels have never given out licensing rights for digital lockers, so it's not like they can just grab an old template and work off that. They definitely do want Google to join the digital-music fray, however, as the possibility of a large iTunes competitor could mean Apple won't be able to bully music industry executives as easily. Currently, Apple has leverage because it dominates the market.

There's still no telling when we might see the unveiling of Google Music. The nearest event for such a launch is probably the Google I/O 2011, which is taking place on May 10 and May 11, 2011. We're not holding our breath.

Permalink to story.

Pandora already has me covered Google, but I will give you a shot and check out if you have any special features that Pandora doesnt offer.

I hope its like Rhapsody...but I doubt it. Rhapsody is the only one that lets you download as many songs as you want to mp3 players and phones for $10.00 a month. But I think it could be better. Their blackberry win win 7 apps have issues and as of yet you can't download for offline use. But it works great with ITouch and cheaper mp3 players.

Magnatune also lets you download as many songs or albums as you want in various formats including MP3, for $45 every three months, and is "not evil" because they give 50% of the proceeds to performers rather than the average 5% most musicians get. http://www.magnatune.com

Slacker also lets you download as many songs as you want per month for $10. It's not just Rhapsody.

Please just say this will be world-wide. There are all those services that seem great, but really are worthless because they're limited to North America/USA. We do not care about that in Europe!

I second that guest, too many good unlimited download music services are our of Europe area so no-one gets our cash in this digital age. If it did happen, my worry is that it will cost at least twice as much as USA due to greed and nothing else.

I'd rather have a cloud service like Amazon's forthcoming venture. I've got enough music already... I just want to be able to access it from anywhere.

Back