TechSpot

Google takes a page from Bing's homepage

By Jos
Jun 10, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tired of Google's white homepage? Starting today the search giant is letting users customize its famously spartan home page with photos of their own or from a public gallery featuring the works of professional artists, by clicking a link on the bottom left corner. This is a major shift in the company's design philosophy. Google says the move is aimed at making the "search experience more relevant, useful and fun through personalization." It also makes them look a lot like Bing.

Read the whole story
  2. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

haha. That's hilarious that they copied bing.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,346   +396

That is SO weak...
  4. LOL! Wait a second...didn't Apple invent images? So really Google has copied Apple! :)
  5. maestromasada

maestromasada TS Rookie Posts: 97

why don't they put a pic with the bing background? more clearly impossible
  6. humm... nice!
    And who invented the white page? who's copy from who?

long story? No! just google copy from altavista, but altavista as copy from yahoo .. as also yahoo copy from bing.. bing copy sapo .. and sapo copy ask .. and ask copy me aol.. and even aol copy from excite, lycoos, hotbot, webcrawler copy from whatever? No from my index "blank page" on text editor!..

I'm f*cking nervous I want my copyrights back!!! I invented the whitepage... humm?
    oh no... my monitor had bad color adjustment...
    now I see that it's a "yellow page" ..?... ups! it's a Yellow phone page .. :|
    i've copied sorry world
  7. poundsmack

poundsmack TS Rookie Posts: 74

For the record, Ask.com did this way before Bing or Google.
  8. tractorphil

tractorphil TS Member Posts: 62

9. Starting today? Lol This feature is a week old.... And why did you say there's no easy way of going back to the blank backgound? You can get the white page back by simply clicking "remove background image" in the left-hand corner, which, just so happens to be clearly visible in the image you posted.

And the reason why the image is the same as Bing's, is because Google bought those pictures from portfolio of a group of professional photographers (which one of them, Mike Knell, happened to also sell his portfolio to Microsoft before). They didn't directly took it from Bing, therefore, the title is misleading, and an example of a poor choice of words.

Lol this post failed.
  10. The feature has been around for a week if you signed in and used it. Also it is already back to a white page as far as I can tell.
  11. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,079   +66 Staff Member

@Guest - It started rolling out last week to users who opted-in but today the background was loaded by default.

Also, the link on the bottom left corner says "Change background image" when you first enter Google's homepage. I understand your confusion as in the image accompanying this post the link reads "Remove background image". However, clicking that link restored the initial background image -- NOT the plain white background. I see they have changed that now.

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,678   +880

I dunno, the Firefox start page is still white, and is still asking for donations. No magic tick box to be found.

If Mozilla ever offers this option, I think I'll use a picture of a black cat in a coal bin. I'm real sick of getting blown back in my seat by the white start page
  13. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 633   +60

Im curious as to what kind of internet people use to have a single image load considerably slower than google's default page. And I am really offended by the term "less savy" being used to define people that have trouble figuring out what web page they typed out, even when in big letters the search provider's name is spelled out. Call them "Apple Users" or dummies.
  14. I've been using a pic from my personal collection since a few days ago.
  15. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

True. Not like bing does it but true. I thought it was you who chose what picture to put there anyways? I honestly like the idea of images being there. I use Bing as my primary search engine and I enjoy all the funfacts and pictures. I learn lots of new things from them. Ask.com use to be my favorite but they turned me off with a few features.
  16. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,060   +84 Staff Member

17. Yeah, googles blank background search engine page was a good idea...
    when everyone was stuck on DIALUP.
    If you can turn it off & on, that's the best way. If you want it, you can have
    it, but if you don't, you should be able to disable it. I don't see it anyway
    because on the rare times I use google, I use the firefox plugin anyway.
  18. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Well I use iGoogle so I wouldn't notice either way. I did however check it out and it does feel strange seeing an image rather then the different daily Google logos showing important dates.
  19. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 802   +8

HAHA! Looks like Microsoft does have a little bit of a sense of humor, lol.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.