TechSpot

Google to pay $17 million for unauthorized tracking of Safari users

1. Google has agreed on Monday to pay $17 million to 37 states and the District of Columbia to settle the charges of unauthorized online tracking of Safari browser users in 2011 and 2012. The states had alleged that Google, in...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,345   +806

Who gets the moolah? Somehow I don't think it's the people they were tracking.

LNCPapa likes this.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,156   +737

Fire up the irony alert on this one...

The Govt is fining a company for privacy concerns when they are guilty of worse. (Yeah, I know, what the govt does is 'legal'.)

Google is being fined for privacy violations when they have been very vocally against what the govt does to invade our privacy.

And none of it really matters because targeting ads is something that's actually GOOD. Does anyone really care if a man gets ads for tools while a woman gets ads for shoes? I wish there was more targeting on some cases... No joke, I've put together a playlist of fairy tale stories for my 5 year old on Spotify only to have them interrupted by Texas Chainsaw Massacre in 3D ads and ads for Trojan man.

The real (and only) injustice here is that the govt gets the $17 million of all those 'violated' customers. I think everyone who's running safari should get a check for a couple bucks.

4. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +24

Lol that is like 2 seconds of profit to them

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.