TechSpot

Google Translate used by 200 million people each month

By Shawn Knight
Apr 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google has announced via blog post that their Google Translate service is used by more than 200 million people each month. Broken down further, in any given day, Google translates...

Read the whole story
  2. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

It sure comes in handy for insulting Brazilians and Russians over online games.
  3. English to Dutch to English of the first two paragraphs. That is certainly a lot better than in the early days. Impressive.

"Google has announced via their blog post that Google Translate service is used by more than 200 million people per month. Broken down further, in a given day, Google translates it equals as much text as you would find in 1 million books.
    Franz Och, a research scientist with Google Translate, discusses how Google's translation service has progressed over the years. In 2001, Google began offering a service that would translate into eight different languages ​​and English. Historically, state-of-the-art commercial machine translation (MT) and while it worked, it was not very effective or efficient."
  4. champmanfan

champmanfan TechSpot Member Posts: 59

It's still buggy (too slow) and doesn't work, moreso on Taiwan websites. This site http://sh.beareyes.com.cn/2/lib/201204/20/20120420136.htm\ comes up with "Sorry, we are unable to access the page you requested"

Otherwise for Europe I find it priceless. Reading/posting responses in YT is the main use. Shame I have to copy/paste everytime but glad its free.
  5. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,575   +47

I've used Google translate quite a few times with moderate success. Some of the things it produces can be funny as hell though. Example: type "men are men and men do the cooking", translate into Dutch, then the translation back to English.
  6. I speak 3 languages and still use it a fair amount .

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.