Google unveils Chromebook Pixel, expects you to pay $1,299

Jos

Staff

Google has just announced the latest addition to its lineup of web-centric Chromebook laptops. Unlike prior variants that drew their main value from their low price tag, the new Chromebook Pixel hopes to entice another set of users who live in the cloud and are willing to spend ‘a little more’ for better specs. That includes a 12.85 inch 2560×1700 touch screen, Core i5 CPU, bigger SSD and 1TB of storage on Google Drive for three years.

Starting at $1,299 for the basic Wi-Fi version, however, the Chromebook Pixel is definitely not for everyone.

As the name suggests the high resolution screen is the highlight of this device. With a pixel density of 239 pixels per inch it manages to outclass the 220 PPI of Apple’s MacBook Pro with Retina display, and the use of a 3:2 aspect ratio is supposed improve viewing web content with 18% more vertical space than a 16:9 layout.

google chromebook pixel

It's thicker and boxier than the MacBook Pro but it shares some design elements and there's similar attention to detail. From the invisible speakers that fire upwards through the keyboard, to the vents hidden in the hinge, a full-sized LED-backlit keyboard, and a large glass touchpad tuned with a laser for a grippy finish. Hands-on impressions popping up across the web all agree that if feels like a solid piece of kit.

Under the hood you’ll find a dual-core Intel Core i5 processor alongside 4GB of DDR3 RAM and 32GB of flash storage -- nothing to rival a similarly priced Windows laptop but then again you don’t need much more for Chrome OS. Other features include Bluetooth 3.0, an SD slot, two USB 2.0, one Mini DiasplayPort, and a trio of integrated mics that cancel out background noise when videoconferencing on the 720p webcam.

An LTE-equipped model with 64GB of storage is scheduled to arrive in early April for $1,449.

Google’s app suite including services like Gmail, Google Docs, YouTube, Google Maps, and Search are all a few clicks away, with another couple of thousand more available on the Google Web Store. The company also demoed a new Google+ app that should arrive in a few weeks, as well as new Quick Office integration so you can open and edit Word and Excel documents natively from Google Docs.

The Chromebook Pixel will be available on the Google Store and in select Best Buy locations nationwide.

We can’t fault Google for trying something different and bold with Chrome OS, but at that price it’ll be a hard sell when you can get more for less. Even with the high resolution display as a key selling point it’s hard to justify the investment when a higher-spec MacBook Pro with Retina display running a full fledged desktop OS costs $50 more. Sadly, there are still no high-resolution alternatives available from the Windows camp.

Permalink to story.

The only thing that it has going for it is the screen, otherwise it is just a basic $600 laptop without any hard drive space -- yes, it is touch screen, but for browsing the web you really don't need a touch screen.

Who would have that much $$$ laying around for a crippled ultrabook.

The hardware looks fine, I would love to have that screen; but the price is too high and the fact it uses Chrome OS means I can't install Lightroom.

It makes sense to me very much even though this laptop is ahead of its time. I think it is still a good investment.
No hard drive [almost] so viva Cloud! - the way to go - never worry about your documents again and enjoy astonishing speeds of browsing the whole day without recharging.

It makes sense to me very much even though this laptop is ahead of its time. I think it is still a good investment.
No hard drive [almost] so viva Cloud! - the way to go - never worry about your documents again and enjoy astonishing speeds of browsing the whole day without recharging.

Good point, have to admit but still not worth the price to me

This is insanity. Between this and the Glass project, Google is pricing itself out of the consumer market ? the very market it must satisfy to get enough users to justify their data collection and advertising efforts. A $250 Chromebook makes *some* sense in a few use cases and helps Google collect data on as many people as can fork over that kind of money for a cloud laptop. And there?s lots of consumers who can do that.

But what consumers, and how many, will fork over $1,300 for a cloud laptop? A few hundred? The Chromebook has not been a sales success. The Pixel will do far worse.

I?d snap up a Pixel at $500, think about it but still get it at $600, but at $700 and up I?d have to have some really compelling reason to drop that kind of cash and Chrome OS, which I like, is not worth that much money.

Consider the most expensive iPad is under $1,000 ? even with some accessories ? and has far more use cases than the Pixel at $1,300. The iPad has a gigantic app ecosystem and has a refined and proven touch interface. The Pixel fails as a $1,300 laptop but it also fails as a $1,300 iPad replacement.

I?m glad Google is starting to focus some efforts on high-quality hardware. But their business is mass collection and distribution of data, and ultra-niche products like the Pixel are not aligned with that business model.

But can it run Crys...

I mean, can I put a hard disk in it and put windows or linux on it? If so it might not be too bad. But other than the screen the hardware is a bit mid level for the pricing.

They should have put ARM in there. It will help with the battery life and price a lot. I don't see why they are using Intel Core i5 for that Chrome OS? I am pretty sure that Chrome OS can runs on ARM just fine.

I don't think so. It is barely cheaper than a MBP which gets 7.5 hours of battery life and doesn't have an OS tied to the cloud (yet). Where are you going to be that you have wifi access the entire time you are using your computer but don't have access to power at some point in a 7.5 hour span? There are other points that could be made to argue against this Chromebook, but a limited OS with long battery life isn't what you should sell a Chromebook on... I just don't think there is anything you can sell it on when you compare its price to the competition.

Ouch... this really hurt. I was super excited about it before hearing about that price tag. I feel like someone offered to share their ice cream with me and when I walked over to get a bite they punched me in the stomach instead.

I wouldn't pay this much for a Chromebook, but remember Google's primary goal isn't to sell units. They're putting forth a reference platform, a mature proof of concept to give other OEMs an example of what's possible. Let's face it, most OEMs have little to no vision, and what they do attempt is lost in the noise.

I'm no Apple fan but they have proven the merit of providing a simple solution that "just works". Google seems to be trying to reach out to the masses who aren't necessarily technology savvy but want to take part in the benefits that technology has to offer. The Pixel may or may not be a commercial success, but it shows that Google continues to innovate and push beyond the boundaries of the status quo.

I don't think so. It is barely cheaper than a MBP which gets 7.5 hours of battery life and doesn't have an OS tied to the cloud (yet). Where are you going to be that you have wifi access the entire time you are using your computer but don't have access to power at some point in a 7.5 hour span? There are other points that could be made to argue against this Chromebook, but a limited OS with long battery life isn't what you should sell a Chromebook on... I just don't think there is anything you can sell it on when you compare its price to the competition.
On airplanes, as soon most airlines will cater WiFi, but no power there. An 11 hour flight I took to Europe could make me productive. Also in a cottage, I could get the WiFi range covering me, but not the power if I want to be on a lawn or deck by the pool.
You pay for graphics, this laptop, as priced fair, the GPU prices are to blame.

I?m glad Google is starting to focus some efforts on high-quality hardware. But their business is mass collection and distribution of data, and ultra-niche products like the Pixel are not aligned with that business model.

In case you haven't notice, Google is already expanding its market base. I won't be surprised if they start taking over the desktop market as well.

But what consumers, and how many, will fork over $1,300 for a cloud laptop? A few hundred? The Chromebook has not been a sales success. The Pixel will do far worse.

Its just a cloud laptop, for now.

Keep in mind that ChromeOS, just like stock Android, is easily upgraded. Which means that Google can easily integrate Google Play for the Chromebook. With that hardware, its the only logical path.

The screen doesn't do anything for me. Neither does the lack of a local hard drive. The sky-high price means I'm definitely not interested.

On airplanes, as soon most airlines will cater WiFi, but no power there. An 11 hour flight I took to Europe could make me productive. Also in a cottage, I could get the WiFi range covering me, but not the power if I want to be on a lawn or deck by the pool.
You pay for graphics, this laptop, as priced fair, the GPU prices are to blame.
Good point on the airplane..

Less convinced of your other example. :)

Where are they coming up with these prices!! Don't have high hopes for this model last one didn't do so well why would this one be any different.

Back