TechSpot

Google Videos shutting down later this month

By Emil
Apr 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google Videos, Google's answer to YouTube before it gave up and bought the video sharing service, is being shut down. The search giant has sent out an email warning to users who previously uploaded one or more videos to the service.

Read the whole story

2. dedparrot

dedparrot TS Rookie Posts: 67

Shame, it was a great place for documentaries.

3. True. Now, we'll have to filter through much garbage to find meaningful videos.

4. This doesn't make sense! Just becuase Youtube is popular? How about Taco Bell? Should they close because there is McDonald's? I think there is a lot more to this story like, the systematic removal of the people's voices! - Just a thought to consider.

5. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

@Guest, you dont seem to realise that google owns Youtube...
    McDonald's doesn't own Taco Bell so your argument is totaly pointless >_>

6. Point is, Google has earned its respect from people's contribution like Google Videos. Now they should not just close the service, just because they not maintain two video services, they should have migrated all the videos to YouTube. I think they have lot to learn from Apple's customer service.

What if Google Wave becomes popular and they want to close GMail? It will be a chaos.

7. Somebody ought to consider making a script or web service of sorts to grab large sets of videos from Google Video (perhaps categorized by subject, rating, or popularity), and automatically upload each video to a list of mirror hosts (like can be done at multiupload.com for example) as it seems that this would be the perfect opportunity for someone to get in the way of the YouTube monopoly that Google is trying to reinforce. Google Video Archive or such. There's an undeniable demand and given the relatively microscopic time frame Google has given us to prepare for these changes, it's likely that a ton of useful and historically significant video footage will be lost if the users of the service don't band together and make a serious effort to archive and mirror as much of the content as possible starting right now.

8. I guess we should thank them for at least giving us some warning in advance.
    But since Google owns YouTube it really isn`t surprising that they are shutting down their original (already dead) Google Video. YouTube is far more popular and nowadays, even Google Video was merging many sources to have more content. Although we weren`t able to upload videos to Google Video for some time.

9. dedparrot, I was going to post the same thing. Whenever I wanted to watch a documentary, Google Video was the first place I went.

10. Youtube censor way more than google videos. Lots of videos to be lost forever.